Rob A

Hawaii big island fishing

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Taking the family to the big island next week for 10 days.  Staying on west coast by Kona.  I know they have a great offshore fishery.  Has anyone fished from the shore there?  Traveling light so wont be able to pack rod/reel.  Might pick up a cheap rig and gift it to someone when I leave.  Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

I fished from shore on the big island …it’s not sand …the shore at the park we were at was mostly lava … and the people that were in the park were smoking a lot of pot …lol lol lol … 

Go light, small tins like cast masters and phones. Yama’s in town has everything you need but it is expensive. A visit to Walmart before you go will save some $.

Throw mostly bucktails in area I fish.  All those lava rocks look fishy.  Gotta believe a bucktail would catch fish there.  Anyone know what type of fish might be on west shore in July?

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Rob A said:

Throw mostly bucktails in area I fish.  All those lava rocks look fishy.  Gotta believe a bucktail would catch fish there.  Anyone know what type of fish might be on west shore in July?

I don't live there but have a friend who does. Thereare all kinds of small reef fish,  many species of jacks including bluefin trevally and big giant trevally.  If it were me I would bring a plugging rod and plugs and looks for  fishy  looking spots. Get a okuma travel surf and a bg 5000 and go for it.  I think you gotta walk out on some serious rock there tho . 

Edited by Jim McFeeley

I was there a few years ago, although on the Hilo side.  Brought a 9' St. Croix travel rod.  Threw Kastmasters and a kind of ceramic popper that they make there which is smnall, yet heavy enough to throw a good distance.

Going to a place like that, where you don't know the best tides, etc. is always a crapshoot, so I have to blame my lack of success on a lack of local knowledge, although the shop in Hilo (don"t recall the name) provided some basic information.  But I also noted that the fish are pressured fairly heavily by a fishing culture which emphasizes sustainance rather than sport; catch and release is not the norm.  Just about everywhere that there is public access, you'll find people fishing for food, as well as a fair number of spearfishermen.

I was huping to run into some smaller trevally.  However, the tackle shop suggested that I also try fishing some very small plastics (think bluegill-sized stuff) fished under a casting egg and target smaller fish--which are also eaten by the locals.  Over the course of a few sessions, I saw the bait fishermen catch a couple of throwback reef fish--from a distance, they looked like very small grouper--and saw spearfishermen with a couple of 2 to 3 pound trevally, but otherwise didn't see many signs of life.

On the other hand, I may have been in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Posted (edited)

Also, be aware that there is a huge swell running this week. While it’s subsiding over the next few days, there still may be some residual effects next week while you are there. You will want to be careful. 

Edited by Alferd Packer

The chance of success is small.  Wont have all my gear, don't know tides or structure.  Wont be able to devote enough time to figuring it out.  Cant pass up a chance to fish there though.  Don't know when I will ever be going back.  

There MAY be a shore fishing guide available. I found a fly fishing shore guide on the Big Island many years ago. Sorry I don't remember this name.

That's a good idea.  I googled it and came up with one.  Kona shoreline.  Wouldn't have to transport or buy new rod/reel.  And get a little local knowledge at the same time.  

Whipping rig aka Carolina rig works best for several species from shore in Hawaii. Kastmaster and other small metals are good as well. I fished Oahu but should work the same for big island. 

You may want to check the State of Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources site.  I believe there may be at least one area where fishing is not permitted. 

I think I may go the guide route.  Just makes sense for a couple reasons.  Probably a long shot but anybody use Kona Shoreline as a guide service?