1amson

Let’s talk PRIMER

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

One thing I’ve found about the bin. Is that if it’s just a little too thick it becomes brittle. Had plugs in the past I used just a couple good coats of spray bin as primer. If they took a hard hit on a rock and the finish chipped, I would look at the layers and see the primer coat was always the failure point. I still use the bin sometimes depending on the wood type and texture, but only very lightly over surfaces already primed with the stix.

Shellac is brittle, I agree.

I seal with oil based stain killing primer, cut with 30% mineral spirits. Koverstain or Kilz.

I prime with Rustoleum Painters Touch 2x spray can primer. Good coverage and fill.

Rustoleum protective coating flat white.....  it is not labeled as a primer but after 50 years of trying various products of all sorts I find this to have the best adhesion & also make for a great base coat.   Once it is fully cured it is a nightmare to try remove it...

13 mins ago, Mike Fixter said:

Rustoleum protective coating flat white.....  it is not labeled as a primer but after 50 years of trying various products of all sorts I find this to have the best adhesion & also make for a great base coat.   Once it is fully cured it is a nightmare to try remove it...

What l also have done in the past was get one or two cans of spray paint punch two holes in them let the gas out then pour into a tall jar and let the plug sit for a couple of hours this way the paint was in every nook & cranny and embedded into the wood grain, l did this when l didn't seal all the hole completely on the plugs before painting.

With fully sealed plugs l would just prime and paint.

Epoxy heat seal then a light sanding, wipe down with denatured alcohol then a coat or two of BIN

Two if there's any small tearout blemishes, with a wet sand in between - fills them in perfectly

62d880aabc898_BinPrimer2.jpg.47c9ca8e7b9abdccfb3dd75c5c0ea869.jpg

Some serious knowledge gems in here already. Multiple types of primers and methods of using them. Glad to see a lot of folks chiming in (include some of the big dogs) on this rarely discussed yet oh so important subject. Makes me very happy. Thank you gentlemen. 

I wonder if the Rusto 2X stuff's secret ingredient is the fibrous material. Like it provides some integrity to the cured paint. For A/C ducts you seal them with something called mastic like a thick paste. The crappy stuff lacks fibers and splits the good stuff has a lot of fibers and you get more strength and resistance to splitting. 

Sherwin Williams Pro Block primer. Can get rattle can or gallons of it if that's your thing. Best stuff I've used so far. Coats very well, and the adhesion is superior. 

Also use Rusto Grey Primer and that is another great option. Just prefer the SW at the moment.

Always used the BIN shellac based primer in spray cans until about 5 years or so ago when Steel Pulse turned me on to the XIM primer. Been using that ever since and never lose paint.

Total Boat Penetrating epoxy to seal the plug thinned with just a touch of acetone.  After a 2 day cure I hit it with 2 coats of Autoborne Sealer / Primer.  On my tuna poppers I add a UVLS matte coat or two.  Makes a pretty indestructible base coat to paint on.

1 hour ago, Surfcaster Chris said:

Total Boat Penetrating epoxy to seal the plug thinned with just a touch of acetone.  After a 2 day cure I hit it with 2 coats of Autoborne Sealer / Primer.  On my tuna poppers I add a UVLS matte coat or two.  Makes a pretty indestructible base coat to paint on.

Just saw that pic of one of them poppers in the tunas mouth. Can’t argue with those results. 

Urethane with opaque white/grey/black pigment sprayed in a HVLP gun, just ordered a new 30 gallon Campbell Hausfeld Compressor.  Should make it really easy with little cycling.

On 7/19/2022 at 0:06 PM, 1amson said:

One thing I’ve found about the bin. Is that if it’s just a little too thick it becomes brittle. Had plugs in the past I used just a couple good coats of spray bin as primer. If they took a hard hit on a rock and the finish chipped, I would look at the layers and see the primer coat was always the failure point. I still use the bin sometimes depending on the wood type and texture, but only very lightly over surfaces already primed with the stix.

Second this, with bin dont dip prime.  It chips super easy.  Almost like brittle chalk if too thick.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:33 PM, Surfcaster Chris said:

I have been contemplating just going with the autoborne sealer primer and no more spray bombs. I usually use the UVLS matte over my paint before I epoxy.