1amson

Let’s talk PRIMER

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

When we talk about plug finish there’s no shortage of discussion about what paints and epoxy people use. There’s endless sources for info on both, and anyone who wants to know can find the answers quite easily. Same goes for the step before, sealing the plug.  
But one thing I’ve noticed is there’s very little, if any at all, discussion on PRIMER.
    I think it’s kind of a funny thing as there’s probably more options for primer out there than there are colors of paint…and certainly epoxy.   Also, the primer is more or less really the single determining factor in how your plugs finish will survive a beating. The most sticky paint and most durable clear in the world will always only be as strong as the foundation beneath them.

SO..  let’s talk primer.  What primer do you use? What primers have you used in the past? Good/bad experiences? Pros/cons?  
Let’s hear it.  Thanks guys. 

40 mins ago, 1amson said:

When we talk about plug finish there’s no shortage of discussion about what paints and epoxy people use. There’s endless sources for info on both, and anyone who wants to know can find the answers quite easily. Same goes for the step before, sealing the plug.  
But one thing I’ve noticed is there’s very little, if any at all, discussion on PRIMER.
    I think it’s kind of a funny thing as there’s probably more options for primer out there than there are colors of paint…and certainly epoxy.   Also, the primer is more or less really the single determining factor in how your plugs finish will survive a beating. The most sticky paint and most durable clear in the world will always only be as strong as the foundation beneath them.

SO..  let’s talk primer.  What primer do you use? What primers have you used in the past? Good/bad experiences? Pros/cons?  
Let’s hear it.  Thanks guys. 

Epoxy...

42 mins ago, bassmaster said:

Epoxy...

That’s one way to skin a cat lol. I use some stuff called stix over the epoxy. Marine grade and and states right on the can that it adheres to epoxy. Plus it’s water based which is nice. 

XIM 400 white what I have used for years. Not real cheap but I like it. It will stick to glass. 

Are you looking to seal the plug before painting?

Me ? If so Yes I seal plug either with epoxy or spar urethane depending on the plug. Then I prime. 

27 mins ago, LB said:

Are you looking to seal the plug before painting?

I seal with epoxy prior. Then prime the sealed plug for max adhesion of the paint. There’s hundreds, probably thousands of kinds you could use…but  it’s seldom discussed it seems.   

Bin shellac based primer.

download.jpg.d4dba6f0bac96f41b24b5389dea18835.jpg

Rockfish9 turned me on to this stuff years ago, works great, Dip/brush/spray, whatever you prefer, it builds nice, fills nice, sands great, and will be as smooth as a baby's behind when you're done sanding. Beautiful thing about shellac is, it sticks to everything, and everything sticks to it.

Only 1 downside, you need to clean the gun, or brush, with denatured alcohol, but that's it. The pro's outweigh the cons.

8 mins ago, Ed White said:

Rockfish9 turned me on to this stuff years ago, works great, Dip/brush/spray, whatever you prefer, it builds nice, fills nice, sands great, and will be as smooth as a baby's behind when you're done sanding. Beautiful thing about shellac is, it sticks to everything, and everything sticks to it.

Only 1 downside, you need to clean the gun, or brush, with denatured alcohol, but that's it. The pro's outweigh the cons.

l have been building plugs for a long time just for myself but never paid to much attention to fully sealing a plug, l did get into sealing my plugs and have been using BIN primer, l cut it with denatured alcohol soak the plugs for an hour in a jar them pull them out and hang to dry, then l paint over the shellac with a primer and them l paint the plug. So were almost doing it the same way.

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

Great stuff. Used it at work daily for like 15 years before I even started making plugs. Just gotta make sure ya got very good ventilation/do it outside. Couple whiffs of it is just like a shot of vodka lol. 

Posted (edited)

I used the bin cut with dissolved alcohol for a while that worked but I don't think it was so bulletproof. You could do multiple coats to try to get cover grain. Then you had to sand.  

I am now using the rustoluem rattle can primer to go with rusto rattle can paint. It seems to work very very well. The rusto primer, along with the rusto paints, have some kind of fibers in them. I suppose these seem to help with bonding between layers. I don't bother sanding these primer goes on ten minutes before teh rest of the paint. I like that.  

I think I get a lot less chipping off of paint with the rusto primer.Comparing to the BIN/DA mix. Hooks go through it but those are pinholes not a lot of large chips coming off. 

I seal with epoxy before the primer. 

Edited by TopStriperAngler

Rustoleum, one light coat and one moderate. let your paints fully cure.