jt0791

Ding Dong the Ditch is Dead

Rate this topic

196 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, willcodfish said:

:agree:no macks poges or squid = no bass

Plenty of squid in the canal this season. 

This has been coming for yrs, No one believes it until you get skunked 3 or 4 times in a row. Wacking these fish for 15 yrs has to come to an end and it's here now.  The howling always comes too late to help. Moratorium is now in the cards,just like the late 70's, yes some of us have lived through that period. I hate knowing what comes next.

The powers to be need to try something new,like gamefish status, it really works where it has been used. 

Nuff said.  

Posted (edited)

This sounds like the perfect year for me to visit.  

I'm not a people person and I catch nothing anyways:D

But it won't be till mid Aug.  Our July trip is eastern CT & RI

Edited by PSegnatelli

6 hours ago, willcodfish said:

:agree:no macks poges or squid = no bass

That may be true today but for many years there were always resident bass all up and down the coast. They didn't follow bait far distance, they stayed in rips and on rock piles and ledges etc. They were always close by. Obviously if bait was around they'd be on it, but if no bait was around  you could still find fish.

The other thing different between now and then is; back then it was almost impossible to find big bunker that didn't have bass following. 

Today it's totally normal to have vast schools of happy bunker without a bass (or blue) in sight.

Its like John P said. Its not just the canal. I noticed a general downturn starting about 12 years ago and it does not get better.  A lot of small fish in May up to say June 15th then a shutdown. There used to be a lot more to fishing than catching fish but even that has changed.  A day on the beach getting some sun still feels good though.

You are so right, In the CT river there are tons of adult bunker not being harassed by even blue fish. Pathetic,back in the day huge blues would be going crazy with these bunker.  Caught my personal best 40"er during one of the wild blitzes.  Guys were losing plugs left and right,great for the tackle business.

1 hour ago, PSegnatelli said:

This sounds like the perfect year for me to visit.  

I'm not a people person and I catch nothing anyways:D

But it won't be till mid Aug.  Our July trip is eastern CT & RI

You'll have more than enough space unless the blitz of the century suddenly shows up.

15 hours ago, ged said:

Years ago when I kept canal fish they always had crabs in them and occasionally lobster. Sure when macks were in they ate them as well.

There doesn’t  appear to be “resident fish” in the canal. 

I miss the NY/NJ guys with go pros :)

The Jersey guys are still coming but are invading other spots that have been blown up by social media posters. They were at one of my local spots the other night. Pickup truck bristling with fishing gear. Looked like a rolling tackle shop. The next night they were in one of my other spots that hardly anyone goes to or knows about. No fish were caught either night. 

4 hours ago, codfish said:

Is the skating rink parking lot closed? I see the cones each time I leave the Cape.

I just drove around them, didn't get a ticket. I think they are only on one side to keep people from going out the do not enter.

19 hours ago, rst3 said:

Two reasons there are no fish in the canal this year.

1) The overall biomass is down.

2) There's no food in the canal.

That second point is probably most important. Bass are not going to expend energy to hold in the strong currents of the canal if there's nothing in there for them to eat. 

The mackerel population is way down, and the species is currently considered "overfished."

No macks in the canal, no bass in the canal. It's not rocket science.

I agree no macks is the reason there aren't blitzing fish like there were 2015-2018. But there used to be a somewhat consistent summer / jig bite of resident fish, and i swear that must be virtually non-existent these days. I used to be able to go jig up a few even when fishing was slow, and now I rarely even try as other locations are consistently more productive.

I'll bet there are regular night crew guys doing ok.

Doesn't have to be stupid fishing, a few hits, a fish or two.

That's a good night as far as I'm concerned.