jt0791

Ding Dong the Ditch is Dead

Rate this topic

196 posts in this topic

By all accounts the ditch has been awful this Year. I think all the years of abuse.. scumbag poachers extreme pressure and complete mismanagement of the fishery has finally taking its toll. I've said it before the worst thing that ever happened to the ditch was 2017. When giant breeders parked in the canal. All of a sudden everyone was a pro.  YouTube Facebook... Instagram absolute **** show till now. It's been slowly tailing off since 2017 except this year the action has fallen off a cliff quicker than Joe Biden s approval rating.  You can almost count the number of fisherman on two hands at any given time this year. Hopefully August September will be better but seems bleak. Hopefully 2022 is just an aberration for the canal. Time will tell. 

The ditch is not the only place for sure. Block Island has been in decline for several years also. The famous staging grounds at Southwest Ledge has been pounded year after year with boats from NY RI CT and even MA. These waters have seen so many 50’s 60’s and 70’s dragged up only to be “released “ unharmed. Right, bull crap. I’m so sick of it. So many trucks here for The Moon of June it was crazy. Only good thing is fishing was so bad they might never come back. I can’t believe they can’t close these areas down that get hammered over and over tide after tide. Give the big girls a chance. Fish are not coming inshore for the most part. There is a serious lack of bait on the beach. The gray seal population has exploded and a colony has been established on the North Bar. Can’t be a lobster or crab anywhere so when fish do show up that option has been devastated. My catch numbers have been reduced by 85 % this year compared to last. Sorry for the rant but you MA guys have been dealing with the seal explosion long before us. Leave to the government to screw this up with their  marine mammal act. Time to make some slippers.  Like the bumper sticker says

image.jpg

Kinda appreciate all the peace and quiet down there......although a fish here and there wouldn't hurt things.........:shrug:

I’m glad it sucks. I’ve only been once. It needs a couple years of lean fishing. Give people time to find other places to fish or give up. 

1 hour ago, capequahog said:

no fish in canal, finally :th:

still don't believe you..........

35 mins ago, rst3 said:

Two reasons there are no fish in the canal this year.

1) The overall biomass is down.

2) There's no food in the canal.

That second point is probably most important. Bass are not going to expend energy to hold in the strong currents of the canal if there's nothing in there for them to eat. 

The mackerel population is way down, and the species is currently considered "overfished."

No macks in the canal, no bass in the canal. It's not rocket science.

Very true bait is way off especially mac's, the spring Herring were weak as well but from what I understand even when some bunker came thru very few fish on them. We'll see what the jet fuel brings in mid-august through September (Peanuts) if that doesn't jolt the action then we may be in trouble. Last few years the peanuts have supercharged the bite

13 mins ago, rst3 said:

That second point is probably most important. Bass are not going to expend energy to hold in the strong currents of the canal if there's nothing in there for them to eat. 

The mackerel population is way down, and the species is currently considered "overfished."

Simple and accurate explanation. 

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

"The mackerel population is way down" Do you think this is the reason for so many sand eels this year??