codfish

Have the Tuna left town?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

For a while everyone was hooking up, but the last 3 reports from friends have said "great whale show, massive schools of sand eels, some blues and bass, but no tuna" where did they go???

Price sucks, quality sucks , anyone with a boat who fishing tuna for a buck sucks fish dealers said no more market is flooded . Where did the tuna go ? Take a guess 

29 mins ago, stifftip said:

Price sucks, quality sucks , anyone with a boat who fishing tuna for a buck sucks fish dealers said no more market is flooded . Where did the tuna go ? Take a guess 

Stiff I was talking bout the rec fish 50 inch class, just curious what is average price for giants??

Per chubby fish:

Of the roughly 1100 fish sold(gen + harpoon) since June 1st, only two fish have been shipped to Japan. 

Everything is staying domestic, and the US market is flooded rn with lean fish...even with closed RFDs Tues, Fri and Sat. 

As of JULY 14th, ~108Tons of 293T June thru Aug gen quota has been taken. 

While striper fishing inshore I’ve hooked monster tuna on striper gear twice in the last two days and gotten spooled… they’re almost a nuisance at this point!

10 hours ago, stripahslayah said:

While striper fishing inshore I’ve hooked monster tuna on striper gear twice in the last two days and gotten spooled… they’re almost a nuisance at this point!

Yikes:eek:

$31.95 a lb at farmers market near Albany n y. Looked real nice but too far from the water for me. 32$ for a lb of 2-3 day old "fresh" bluefin     WTF 6$ for the boat that caught it. 

1 min ago, Kones1 said:

$31.95 a lb at farmers market near Albany n y. Looked real nice but too far from the water for me. 32$ for a lb of 2-3 day old "fresh" bluefin     WTF 6$ for the boat that caught it. 

Much less than $6lb from I was told by a friend yesterday that comm tuna fishes. 

12 hours ago, stripahslayah said:

Oof.  I'd be lookin for bigger gear....

7 hours ago, ged said:

Much less than $6lb from I was told by a friend yesterday that comm tuna fishes. 

It'll still be $20/lb on next season's Wicked Tuna.  

and people say recremercials killed the striper fishery. what they've done to the bluefin fishery is as bad or worse. to kill a fish that magnificent and get pennies for them...just awful. 

9 hours ago, bradW said:

and people say recremercials killed the striper fishery. what they've done to the bluefin fishery is as bad or worse. to kill a fish that magnificent and get pennies for them...just awful. 

It’s not just the money. Half of them think catching the things  is a feat of heroism.