FG the Cape Fox way

Rate this topic

Capefox

I created a work-around step to simplify tying the FG knot (give it a try and tell me what you think):

1. Melt a bulb at the end of the mono or fluorocarbon leader by using a lighter (this is the key work-around!).
  2. Pinch the top 4" of the leader (pointing upward) and a 8" tag of your braid perpendicular between your thumb and forefinger.
  3. Neatly make 20 alternating braid wraps around the leader.
  4. Use a half hitch to tie the braid tag over the leader and the mainline.
  5. Tie a Risuto finishing knot.
  6. Slide the knot up the leader to the stopper bulb you made in step 1.
  7. Cinch the living daylights out the knot by pulling the mainline and the leader in opposite directions. Note: You will need bars or gloves to get enough force to get the wraps to bite down into the leader. 
  8. Trim the tag and you are done!
Edited by Capefox

If tying the FG is an issue.

Try a SC knot. Its a doubled over and underwrapped knot.

Its easier to tie since it cinches it safe down when you form then set of locking coils.

You can let the line go and it all stays in place without unraveling as your tie the lock rizutto knot.

I recommend at least 20-30 coils.

Just tied this in 1 minute. 15lb braid to 40 leader.

16579197287256372260222233395387.jpg

Edited by EricL

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

But when in doubt. PR knot with a bobbin.

I use that whenever i can.

I use SC when i dont have my bobbin. 

I only make FG when the braid is over 60lbs. And if i dont have my bobbin.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

The SC slips for me when using slick 8-strand braids (40-80#) and hard fluoro leaders (40-80#) no matter how hard it's cinched down. The FG seems to be able to bite down better, but I tend to use a Slim Beauty (triple uni on the leader with doubled braid 8x up and 8x down) with these lines anyway. 

Edited by Capefox

if it slips, you probably dont have enough wraps or the line was too loose.

you have to be mindful how loose the coils are forms, picture with loose coils. it slips alot.

and the barrel doesnt form correctly.

So first 2 pics = no good.

if you tightly wind them up. it bites much much better.

the barrel will be much more proper.

Pic 3 is better 

the barrel will slide right now still. you need to put down the alternating knots.

then tighten it once.  do the rizutto. then finally tug it all tight.

i just tied another one. no slip. About 6mm leader tag end.

i tug the hell out of it by hand. No problem.

I wrap leader around foot. Mainline around a pen. One long hard pull.

i managed to snap the braid itself 1ft above the knot.

The knot held. Tag is still 6mm.

if it still fails, change the leader.

its too hard and slippery.

find other brands.

20220715_174145.jpg

20220715_174221.jpg

20220715_174448.jpg

20220715_174851.jpg

20220715_175343.jpg

Edited by EricL

So I just tested the SC I tied versus my version of the FG with 70# 8S and 100# mono leader. The braid broke in the middle around 55# while the FG knot held. (Hercules is rubbish braid I've discovered giving only 60-70% of its advertised strength), whereas the SC broke at the knot at 40#. The SC did not slip, it was just weaker than the line (40/55 = 70% knot strength though so not so bad). I'd love to see more testing by others--some of whom will have better tying skills and testing equipment than mine no doubt). 

Edited by Capefox

Like i mentioned.. when in doubt. PR knot.

Ive never had issues or failures at the knot.

Snapped leaders. Chewed though. Damaged braid snapping. Never the knot. 

A nice dragged bobbin is cheap nowadays and tiny compared to the ones years ago. You can also just tied a half oz sinker to spin it on the fly, but its a little more tricky. Lol

Heres an officla shimano video. I use the same bobbins.  But any brand or a simple weight works.  Same concept.

For something a but more english from salts is good demo.

I vary the length a bit depending on application.

For jigging or bottom, my knot can be like 2" long.

For casting stuff, be as short as 1" to clear all guides even if i wind it in as a shockleader on surf setups. Its slim enough to shoot through all guides 8mm or larger.

For topwater boat, i keep a 1.5" knot right above, outside the spool. 

Edited by EricL

Here's one example i have on hand. i have as a shockleader winded in. Casts no problem. 20lb braid. 50lb bbg.

8-10 turns on a tatula 400, ballistic 33.  1 inch PR knot. The knot is not much thicker than the leader itself.

2-5oz plus bait no issues.

20220715_202232.jpg

20220715_202956.jpg

Thanks for your comments. I think I'm going to stick with the FG for now but that SC has me intrigued.

FG vs PR. PR is slightly stronger according to Salt Strong but I can reliably and repeatedly tie the FG with the little melted bulb at the end of the leader in under two minutes without any tension on the line, and the PR takes longer and is more complex. Bobbins are for crocheting doilies and tea cozies while you watch Matlock reruns with your cats, not anglers on the pitching deck of a packed party charter j/k :-)  

FG vs. SC. I've yet to reliably get the SC not to slip once in a while. I don't trust it. Could it be a case of user error. Of course. It is fast and easy and I don't see why it wouldn't be at least as strong as the FG. 

Hollow core splicing. I've seen this stuff work, but it's not something I want to do on a beach or party charter boat. Hollow core isn't exactly cheap either. 

Hopefully my little workaround on an already widely-tried/used FG knot helped someone who was struggling such as myself! 

It’s nice to pry a stuck jig or bucktail off a snaggy bottom, but there’s actually a value to a leader knot breaking less than the line itself. Use jigs you won’t cry to break off near bridges, rocks, inlets, docks.