Noah Harney

Tips for Spanish Mackerel off the Beach

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Last year I stumbled into a few large schools of Spanish mackerel off the beach and it was a blast to catch them on light tackle. This year I have yet to find any schools and was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to look for in terms of weather, conditions, and/or bait when at the beach.

Thanks!

3 mins ago, flyangler said:

where are you located? 

Central Florida, I am usually fishing CNS, Cocoa, Melbourne area

1 min ago, Quatralemk said:

Walk the beach with a back pack and some shiny spoons, tie on some light wire 

What pound wire do you recommend?

23 mins ago, Noah Harney said:

What pound wire do you recommend?

Nothing heavy. Match your line or a little heavier. You are looking for tooth protection and it does not have to be long, 6" is perfect IMO. 

Now, the problem with factory-made leaders is that the connectors, swivel on one side and snap on the other, are far larger than they need to be. Personally, I like buying that knotable wire leader and tying up my own, using small but strong swivel and snap. Actually, I might tie the wire to the braid main line using an Alberto or similar and then use a small TA snap rather than a Coastlok or similar. 

Factory leaders can also be a chrome color, avoid that, buy black. Spanish can hit shiny swivel and cut you off there. 

Walk the beach, look for bait, look for birds. 

One last suggestion, but a couple of thin but heavy casting jigs or epoxy jigs. The type I am thinking of are around an ounce or more but long and skinny. Like small Deadly Dicks but thinner. When the macs are out there and/or are feeding on small minnow, they work really well. 

1 min ago, flyangler said:

Nothing heavy. Match your line or a little heavier. You are looking for tooth protection and it does not have to be long, 6" is perfect IMO. 

Now, the problem with factory-made leaders is that the connectors, swivel on one side and snap on the other, are far larger than they need to be. Personally, I like buying that knotable wire leader and tying up my own, using small but strong swivel and snap. Actually, I might tie the wire to the braid main line using an Alberto or similar and then use a small TA snap rather than a Coastlok or similar. 

Factory leaders can also be a chrome color, avoid that, buy black. Spanish can hit shiny swivel and cut you off there. 

Walk the beach, look for bait, look for birds. 

One last suggestion, but a couple of thin but heavy casting jigs or epoxy jigs. The type I am thinking of are around an ounce or more but long and skinny. Like small Deadly Dicks but thinner. When the macs are out there and/or are feeding on small minnow, they work really well. 

I appreciate all the insight. I've never been a fan of the factory wire leaders, I'll look into connecting the braid directly to the wire.

I have a few smaller metal jigs that seem to work well, I think I just need to spend the time to find the birds/bait.

Thanks once again!

30lb flouro leader. 1 oz small tins. My go to is Williamsons Gomame Jig. They’ll also hit epoxy’s and deadly dicks. Been days when they’re locked in on small spearing and love a teaser. 

21 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

30lb flouro leader. 1 oz small tins. My go to is Williamsons Gomame Jig. They’ll also hit epoxy’s and deadly dicks. Been days when they’re locked in on small spearing and love a teaser. 

Haven't heard of those, but I'll check them out! Thanks

25 mins ago, Noah Harney said:

Haven't heard of those, but I'll check them out! Thanks

not that one, but same concept

1 oz Minnow Jig — MDR Tackle

Hogy 1 1/4 OZ (3 Inch) HEAVY MINNOW JIG (35g)

Thought of this thread this morning…see! Lol

But the real star of the show this morning was the deadly dick and shimano coltsniper

FD93877D-AFED-47A8-B92C-2B98C5698F1E.jpeg

41E7929A-E805-4BDF-A097-22DA124CF6BC.jpeg

Shimano coltsniper is my go-to when blind casting for these guys. I cast, let it hit bottom, then zip it back to me. 

I only used DeadlyDicks but did notice certain colored tape would work better some days than others.

Since moving to South FL, some people off the piers have great luck w/ a casting egg and 3ft leader to a regular drinking straw (4-5")ahead of a treble hook.

Got this one last year on 25 flouro leader on a mirrolure mr17. You can get heavier versions.  

5FA337A6-FD54-4C74-8D62-912E30D70285.jpeg

Last time I was in PCB FL, only caught Spanish Macks off the piers.  But I did well on Gotcha lures & small Clark Spoons.  

The Clark Spoons I ran an absurdly long flouro leader & pegged an egg sinker waay up from the lure.   I would dangle the whole thing over the edge of the pier and cast underhanded. 

Previous trips I always did good on Blue/Chrome & Green/Chrome Kastmasters. But if ya buy any new ones watch the terminal tackle.  Really sucks these days.  

Today, I'd buy Hopkins Shorty.  Still a great product and hasn't been sold out to the highest bidder like Acme Tackle was.