superuser

Need a mini but heavy lure for small fish

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Got a brand name to search. This sounds interesting.  

And are they slab spoon/minnow jigs or a traditional "jig head"

They're rounded slabs. Absolutely worth looking into. The sea bass arent the only things that like them, i brought them to FL and got a few snapper jigging, as well as a 15lb albie when i was retrieving it through the water column. That was fun. Garone rods sells them.

Haven’t checked in a while, but I recall seeing some small bass pro brand hopkins like metals made of tungsten. They had some weight to them given their small sizes 

Ahi deception jigs are what I like for long albie casts.  The 1oz is a distance monster.   I like them better than hogy heavies.  Cheap too but swap the hook and ring for better.

Ahi deception jigs are what I like for long albie casts.  The 1oz is a distance monster.   I like them better than hogy heavies.  Cheap too but swap the hook and ring for better.

3 hours ago, Sailah said:

Do they look as good as the photos?  Cause the photos look great!  

I wonder how they'd be rigged backwards. For the OP's purpose a small assist hook.  The weight forward would assist in the distance. Then just flutter it up and down. 

They look pretty good.  My goto albie lure as they cast way farther than epoxy hogy jigs and are cheap-ish.  Caught a ton of albies on them last year.

The green mack is almost laser printed on a label over the metal jig.  They hold up pretty good.

I cut the welded ring and take off the junk hook and replace with an owner hyperwire and #4 VMC treble.   Have some new BKK hooks I'm trying this year.

23 hours ago, albacized said:

Haven’t checked in a while, but I recall seeing some small bass pro brand hopkins like metals made of tungsten. They had some weight to them given their small sizes 

I'd be interested in one or two fo these just to try out.  

5 mins ago, connman said:

Nobody mentioned Stingsilvers yet!  

Nope!

18 hours ago, Sailah said:

They look pretty good.  My goto albie lure as they cast way farther than epoxy hogy jigs and are cheap-ish.  Caught a ton of albies on them last year.

The green mack is almost laser printed on a label over the metal jig.  They hold up pretty good.

I cut the welded ring and take off the junk hook and replace with an owner hyperwire and #4 VMC treble.   Have some new BKK hooks I'm trying this year.

+1 

They catch fish. I have a couple and caught a small striper on a 1oz. But not luck with perch and smelt with them. 

Cordell has a hopkins that comes in at 3/4 once,  pretty small,  really inexpensive. Or any hopkin style,  they come in every weight,  slim profile so should drop pretty good. And as mentioned deadly dick

31nUojeTMxL._AC_SY1000_.jpg