bassmaster

Is there a Thread for Found Plugs?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

As a teenager growing up in the 70's I found a mackerel Rebel windcheater on the beach.  I replaced the trebles and fished it catching my first bass over 30.   Discovering the rebel style plugs was huge shortcut to my fishing success.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A bunch of years ago, I was snagging and dropping on a boat to a mad school of pigs off IBSP and a perfect CCW floated by. That thing had to be bought minutes before at Grumpy’s because there wasn’t a mark on it. Some poor surf rat must have just cracked it off trying to reach the school.

But that same year, I lost my favorite big don red-headed popper on the canal on a crack off. Whichever of you chowderheads who found it, I hope it snagged you deep - bastard 

Edited by Jason B

11 hours ago, Jason B said:

A bunch of years ago, I was snagging and dropping on a boat to a mad school of pigs off IBSP and a perfect CCW floated by. That thing had to be bought minutes before at Grumpy’s because there wasn’t a mark on it. Some poor surf rat must have just cracked it off trying to reach the school.

But that same year, I lost my favorite big don red-headed popper on the canal on a crack off. Whichever of you chowderheads who found it, I hope it snagged you deep - bastard 

Haha

Found myself hunting around in the reeds on a North Shore LI beach this past weekend in hopes of finding something snagged or washed up but nada. Following moronesaxitilis on IG has me inspired to find things, that guy is always finding the coolest stuff.

On 6/26/2022 at 7:39 PM, bassmaster said:

While fishing, show some pics...

I don't have pics but this happened to me about 8 years ago.

One night at the canal I was having a good night fishing with a black Bomber. After landing a few fish I lost my only Bomber when a bass cut if off on some rocks.

I tried throwing a black SP Minnow, nothing. I tried throwing an X-Rap, nothing. I tried a couple more plugs with no results.

On one cast I snagged my lure on weeds, or so I thought. When I finished reeling in the lure, I discovered that I had snagged a tangled mess of seaweed, fishing line and a ... wait for it... a black Bomber.

However, It wasn't mine, it was someone else's. I was fishing with a two hook Bomber. The one I snagged was the longer, three hook Bomber.

Never one to not take advantage of good fortune, once I freed the Bomber from the tangled mess, I put it on my line. When I cast it, the hits and the landed fish resumed.

It was kinda surreal the way that night played out.  :)

Edited by zak-striper

I find SP minnows pretty regularly and always give them to my buddy, I hate those things....

My favorite find though was this spring. I was out the night before and had a pretty good tide. Woke up sore and cold pretty early next morning to a less than ideal tide/clarity, but decided to walk the shore anyway and cast my way out to a rocky point. Got zero action and just before the point I found a super beat up very mojo ridden Black/Blue mag darter (the largest size which I had none of in my bag). Had a TA clip and everything so I just tied it on and boom, hooked up to a nice fish first cast. Proceeded to catch 3 more and then just as quickly as I found it I broke off.

Magic plug giveth, and Magic plug leaveth. Hoping someone else found it later and went on to find more fish.

Found a plug floating by me, so I put it in my bag. While checking the swim out later in the light, a friend show's up. So I say check out this plug I found. I cast it out and the guy says it cast like crap. I said forget about that watch it swim; now mind you I thought this plug swam great! The guy is not impressed and says its alright.

Looking at the back of the plug I can not make out the builders signature, So I ask who the builder is; as I hand him the plug. He says Holly crap, It's a ARESENAL.

He start's taking photos, texting, and posting the plug I found everywhere. All of a sudden this alright plug is the best thing since god made little green apples.

Turns out the creator of the plug was fishing with a couple guys testing it out, as it was a new prototype. Daniel was about a hundred yards up current from me banging fish with it, until he busted it off on a cast too come floating up to me.

I ended up giving Daniel his plug back so he could start duplicating and turning them.

Edited by Lou T

I was on a bite with the fish hitting at the end of the cast. I put one out into the zone and with a crank of the handle, I'm pissed cause I snag something.

Getting the plug back in to clean it from the debris. I snagged a GRS surface slim, so I put it in my bad and went back to work.

About half hour later Scott Davis walks up to us all bummed out :waah: because he lost his last GRS surface slim...  :laugh:

42 mins ago, Kphresh said:

I find SP minnows pretty regularly and always give them to my buddy, I hate those things....

My favorite find though was this spring. I was out the night before and had a pretty good tide. Woke up sore and cold pretty early next morning to a less than ideal tide/clarity, but decided to walk the shore anyway and cast my way out to a rocky point. Got zero action and just before the point I found a super beat up very mojo ridden Black/Blue mag darter (the largest size which I had none of in my bag). Had a TA clip and everything so I just tied it on and boom, hooked up to a nice fish first cast. Proceeded to catch 3 more and then just as quickly as I found it I broke off.

Magic plug giveth, and Magic plug leaveth. Hoping someone else found it later and went on to find more fish.

Was this in Monmouth Count NJ this year by any chance?That plug was my absolute go to this Spring. A couple nights after landing some serious tanks, I lost the plug, and all the mojo it had. I quickly replaced the plug, but the magic is gone and i had limited success with the replacement.

I’ve been hoping someone found it and they had the same success I did!

18 mins ago, Moffsho said:

Was this in Monmouth Count NJ this year by any chance?That plug was my absolute go to this Spring. A couple nights after landing some serious tanks, I lost the plug, and all the mojo it had. I quickly replaced the plug, but the magic is gone and i had limited success with the replacement.

I’ve been hoping someone found it and they had the same success I did!

Yes it was hahahhaa, very well could have been your plug. I had an absolute banger morning with it so now I'm hoping someone else is out there putting it to work!

I had a tank myself on that first cast so looks like the mojo held true

I can’t tell you the number of fish that thing caught this year. I was never a fan of mag darters, but for whatever reason this plug was an absolute lock to catch at this spot for well over a month. I would be on a hot bite and change plugs just to get some variety in my life and the bite would die (including other colors of the same plug). Go back to the MD and immediately on fish again. I’ve never had fished keyed in on one color plug for that long of a stretch in my fishing career.

I would trade any plug I own to get that back.

1 hour ago, Kphresh said:

I found this plug this year. Is it yours

181242E6-7851-4A13-955F-7F37C07AFEE2.jpeg