Is there a Thread for Found Plugs?

Rate this topic

bassmaster

I don’t know if I “found it” but about 10 years ago I hooked a decent bluefish by tangling a ~5 foot mono leader that had a Magnum Rapala still hooked into the fish, blue Mack pattern.

It wasn’t in the greatest shape to begin with but the hooks were recently replaced since they looked fairly new, but I’ve kept it in the bag (fishing from my boat) ever since.

After enough toothy critters took a whack at it I filled the pits with some nail polish and sanded it down, then mixed up a few bunker (ish) paints to refinish it. It will continue to be a sweet trolling plug when I’m on the hunt for gators, at least until one of them tries to eat my swivel instead of the plug…

F3F4522F-6119-49A3-B474-C1F480A4039B.jpeg

3AEED915-65F2-4832-B347-D9F5372FF0F0.jpeg

Edited by Sir Defyable

Found lots of stuff over the years but most of it was pretty beat up.

Never found anything handmade or with any collector value.

Some plugs I find aren’t useable and I simply carry them away to place them in the trash.

Others get new hooks and then they may find a place in my rotation.

Sometimes I just give them away to guys who are plug poor.

I don’t even want to think about how many lures I’ve lost in 50 years of fishing.

I hope that at least some of my lost cache found it’s way into the hands of a deserving angler.

You guys are lucky to find this stuff. Best plug (not really a plug, but a soft plastic) was a regular bulldawg I found on the bank while musky fishing. 10 minutes later a guy comes down asking if I've seen a bulldawg. I said yes and gave it back to him and he thanked me. Felt good that I was able to return it, but I still would have liked getting a free bulldawg. The best plug I've found and was able to keep was a Rapala skitter v in red and white, just drifting along in the Chesapeake Bay. Picked it up, cleaned it and gave it new hooks and it works good as new.

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

I snagged this needlefish about 12 years ago at an RI breachway- pulled it up with a tangled mess of about 4 other plugs. This plug was a go-to for years. I’ll never forget it because it really got me into fishing needles. Unfortunately lost it a couple years ago when I messed up and let a teen/low 20s bass put me in a bad spot.

8883115F-49B7-44D9-BE86-3BA680CB767B.png

2 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I don’t know if I “found it” but about 10 years ago I hooked a decent bluefish by tangling a ~5 foot mono leader that had a Magnum Rapala still hooked into the fish, blue Mack pattern.

It wasn’t in the greatest shape to begin with but the hooks were recently replaced since they looked fairly new, but I’ve kept it in the bag (fishing from my boat) ever since.

After enough toothy critters took a whack at it I filled the pits with some nail polish and sanded it down, then mixed up a few bunker (ish) paints to refinish it. It will continue to be a sweet trolling plug when I’m on the hunt for gators, at least until one of them tries to eat my swivel instead of the plug…

F3F4522F-6119-49A3-B474-C1F480A4039B.jpeg

3AEED915-65F2-4832-B347-D9F5372FF0F0.jpeg

nice restoration. looks great. what is the story on that vise. never seen anything like it. very
cool

"what good are tractors without violins" ?   jose figueres

Somehow while bucktailing a huge rip during a hurricane with winds pushing 60 mph my bucktail came back with a bronze mag darter. It has been the best one yet out of all the ones I own and use. As for my buddy Dave , he has found multiple CCW , GRS , pichney, rg glider, Loki glider, over the last 5 years or so and whatever else he found that was in good fishing condition. I’d say half his bag are found plugs. Weird luck.