ProSkateFisherman

How safe is OC and surrounding areas?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Berlin was voted best small town in America at one point, I think.

It's a fine area, just like Angola/Oak Orchard Delaware....but the residents seam more "transient" in the summer.  Not really locals.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:42 PM, ProSkateFisherman said:

How about south or west of OC? Like this area. Are the surrounding areas a safe place to live? 

62cf71e73e051_SouthofOC.PNG.31d8fb2e54ed5fb4064cf46fdb113de1.PNG

Also, I'm planning on bringing a kayak to do some sharking and bay fishing with, and I don't want to stay in OC because of the risk of theft from hooligans. I have a nice kayak lock but I'm afraid there are determined criminals with the tools to take it. It's not like a $2,500 yak, just a little pelican but right now it's all I've got and I have put about $200 into modding it (anchor trolley, rails, fish finder and mount, etc). Of course I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't want to lose my yak. Is there a safer place to stay? Maybe go camping at AI? I think that would be fun and convenient too, as that's where I fish most of the time. Maybe stay in West OC away from the action of the main island? Or am I just overthinking it? Sorry for all these questions. When it comes to my gear, I tend to worry about theft, especially in the summer when everybody's out and about. Thanks

I am between Ironshire, and Newark on your map, been here since March.

I haven't seen any evidence of any crime around here.

Only hear of stuff around the boardwalk, at night. The local residents around here are all quiet folks, and the sidewalks roll up by 10pm. 

1 hour ago, dena said:

I am between Ironshire, and Newark on your map, been here since March.

I haven't seen any evidence of any crime around here.

Only hear of stuff around the boardwalk, at night. The local residents around here are all quiet folks, and the sidewalks roll up by 10pm. 

That's about what I figured. I like the area and it's full of nice people. I feel like the reason the crime statistic websites say the crime is so high in OC compared to other places is because of the boardwalk in the summer. I've been to OC in February/March because I got a free stay at that new hotel next to the rt. 50 bridge (think it's called the Cambria) and the town was very calm, especially compared to the summertime. Walked along the beach in 33 degrees, nobody on the beach or boardwalk. While it was nice to see the town so calm, that trip wasn't very good fishing wise as one might expect.

The boardwalk area has always drawn a dumpy crowd but the demographic has changed from (mostly harmless) trashy people to problematic people. Counterpoint is OCMD has always run a "nanny state" style government and I don't see them pulling a NYC just letting these people run wild. I would not hesitate to invest or spend time in the area as its just spill over from surrounding areas. 

Small example, recently in a friends condo unit they have had issues with people parking in reserved spots and people helping themselves to the private shower / rinse off area in the back. But I have also heard similar stories in far away as Maine, people just suck nowadays. 

Have lived here full time since last summer. Downtown OC bayside.

We avoid the boardwalk during high season after sundown.

Have not had not had 1 issue or ever felt unsafe.

Neighbors have all been friendly.....

But it is a resort town, so your going to have issues with those overdoing the partying.. Common sense should tell you more on how to avoid.

Love the place. No regrets. Now I just have to learn where the fish are :)

1 hour ago, FinDiesel said:

Now I just have to learn where the fish are :)

Get out there, you’ll find them! Get an OSV permit. 

FinDiesel…. Love the name. 
Are you a fast and furious fisherman? :rav:

On 8/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, Catskill John said:

Get out there, you’ll find them! Get an OSV permit. 

FinDiesel…. Love the name. 
Are you a fast and furious fisherman? :rav:

OSV?..first I need decent 4Wd vehicle!

Actually been taking my time doing the research watching what the locals have to decide on what to get in a smallish boat.

Looking at a Carolina or maritime skiff.. I have slip. 

No, not fast And furious anymore!

Now Slow and content:howdy:

44 mins ago, FinDiesel said:

Actually been taking my time doing the research watching what the locals have to decide on what to get in a smallish boat.

Looking at a Carolina or maritime skiff.. I have slip. 

I have a Carolina 198DLV, with a 115 yammi, got it before the $ shot up in 2020... Its great, i don't have a slip tho, that would be a game changer.  I fish the OC inlet AI area, I don't catch much lol.  I also use it to run down to Virginia waters as well.

22 hours ago, luckyOC said:

I have a Carolina 198DLV, with a 115 yammi, got it before the $ shot up in 2020... Its great, i don't have a slip tho, that would be a game changer.  I fish the OC inlet AI area, I don't catch much lol.  I also use it to run down to Virginia waters as well.

That's about the boat I want. May be a touch smaller. Will begin serious looking in the fall when people are looking to get out of payIng maintenance and storage.

Wish you better luck with catching, lucky;):)

I catch more from the sand, guess im more of a sand flea ha.  Boat is needed sometimes to get to sand that isn’t accessible by other means ;)