ProSkateFisherman

How safe is OC and surrounding areas?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve been going to OC and AI for 4 years now, and I’ve never encountered any issues with any people. Even the drunk, high partiers. I was walking off the beach in OC and a guy who was on the beach earlier was talking to me with a microphone. I was yelling up to him talking about fishing and I gave him some advice. All of the sudden, one of his buddies told me she was a lesbian for some reason. I said good for you and gave some more fishing advice and said farewell. Saw them again the next night. Asked how the guy did. Still nothing. I told him to keep trying and switch up baits every now and then and you will eventually succeed. The I saw him again the next night! Same advice I gave last night. Next night he was gone. Hope he got some. But back to it.

I have seen some crazy fights though that made for great stories while going to or from the beach. Like once I was walking off the beach in OC and three people riding a rental bike hop off and start screaming at each other. 2 women and one transgender (assuming, 6 feet tall, muscular and deep voice) and a little baby. The transgender one starts screaming at one of the ladies about cheating on her with another woman or man or something and having a baby. They continued screaming and then the transgender started to attack the lady holding the baby. After some more screaming they got back on the bike and rode away. It was kinda funny how it happened, but it was very odd.

I remember in 2020 when that group of people beat that kid on a bench outside of some bar on I think 12th street or somewhere around there and I found out he died from the beating. Wasn’t on the news to my knowledge (the death, not the beating, I read that on the news). Heard that he died from a charter captain. And also in 2020 the chipotle attack when 3 guys started throwing stuff. But just how dangerous is OC and the surrounding area (Berlin, Salisbury, Fenwick Island, etc)? OC only has about 7000 permanent residents, right? But in the summer, it can be up to 300,000 people? A lot of hooligans out there. Driving their mustangs while high and revving their engines in the middle of the night. Bike week biker fights, I’ve watched them from the car when I passed. Once I saw 15 cops around 1 guy on 1st street. Come October it settles down. And it’s nice in April and early may. But in September when I go to shark and have some fun summer fishing, it always smells like weed at the jetty and there are a bunch of crazy teenagers going around and causing trouble and racing each other in their sports cars on the coastal highway. The weed isn’t really a problem for me but the racing and engine revving is loud and keeps you up sometimes. While they may be rambunctious and annoying, most of the hooligans aren’t directly targeting people to steal or attack. On average, how likely is it to be jumped or attacked down there and have your stuff stolen? Not as worried about it in April/may or October but during the summer when there are still many people, I always keep my gear close and in sight. I make sure to be friendly to everybody and help out whenever somebody needs it, and I always have a good time when I’m fishing talking to beach goers and other fisherman. Better to make friends than enemies, right?

I would have just looked up crime statistics but I would like to hear from people actually in the area. As I’ve said, I haven’t had any problems and hopefully never will, but in the back of my mind I always wonder if somebody is just waiting for somebody to come by so they can rob or kill them. I think I’m a bit paranoid, but you never know. It seems crime is on the rise everywhere. Thanks guys. Hope everybody stays safe out there.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

The past few years have been outliers. It’s usually just June that you have to worry with senior week and a bunch of kids trying to be macho for one another. The car weekends have their downfalls, but I’m a car guy so as long as they aren’t damaging anyone else’s property, they don’t bother me. I also can’t hear them from my house unless they are racing on Assateague rd so there’s that. 

I have never personally felt unsafe or been worried about parking my truck in OC but I tend to avoid busy weekends and spend most of my beach time on Assateague at non peak times as well. 

Like anywhere else, be alert of your surroundings and, most of the time, don’t start no ****, there won’t be no ****

I have a place 4 minutes from O.C.MD, Never had a problem there .But I do avoid spots, I will not eat or drink where there are shool kids, High school or collage, there usually dumps anyway. When there is a holiday I go the opposite direction, berlin, Ocean pines. for drink and food. My wife goe's to the beach in O.C. ,I fish on Assateague , or the Oceanic pier in O.C, but I'm out by 11:am. I avoid the crowd and the traffic. But I love the place.

15 hours ago, Caddyonthebeach said:

Like anywhere else, be alert of your surroundings and, most of the time, don’t start no ****, there won’t be no ****

Great wisdom here.

On rare occasions, crazy **** goes down in OC. 

As long as you don't engage with or participate in the crazy, you have little to worry about.

We've spent lots of time in OC over the last 20 years or so.  There really haven't been any issues in the area we stay, but we've noticed that the board walk is quite a bit different than it used to be.  We've personally witnessed fights, had some interesting words thrown our way, and were even nudged off a bench by a family (true story).  As such, we no longer take the kids down there.  It's sad, but I've never liked that scene anyway so....  

Times have changed. When we went to OCMD senior week in 1990 and it was all about beer, weed and wet t-shirts. When my daughter went last year, she saw gang fights, coke, and guns.

Same dumb kids making dumb decisions, but the repercussions are much worse nowadays. It’s sad, but OCMD (at least by the boardwalk) is no longer for families, IMO.

My boss has a condo right on the boardwalk around 2nd street.  He hardly uses it anymore.

It's changed alot the 20 years and most recently not for the good.

We rarely drive up anymore and I'm not taking the kids there.

How about south or west of OC? Like this area. Are the surrounding areas a safe place to live? 

62cf71e73e051_SouthofOC.PNG.31d8fb2e54ed5fb4064cf46fdb113de1.PNG

Also, I'm planning on bringing a kayak to do some sharking and bay fishing with, and I don't want to stay in OC because of the risk of theft from hooligans. I have a nice kayak lock but I'm afraid there are determined criminals with the tools to take it. It's not like a $2,500 yak, just a little pelican but right now it's all I've got and I have put about $200 into modding it (anchor trolley, rails, fish finder and mount, etc). Of course I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't want to lose my yak. Is there a safer place to stay? Maybe go camping at AI? I think that would be fun and convenient too, as that's where I fish most of the time. Maybe stay in West OC away from the action of the main island? Or am I just overthinking it? Sorry for all these questions. When it comes to my gear, I tend to worry about theft, especially in the summer when everybody's out and about. Thanks

I’s stay away from ocean pines, that place is dangerous… and the HOA is worse.

joking about OP being dangerous, not sure if there is a crime rate…  Berlin and OP are pretty populated, outside of that, its rural.

Edited by luckyOC

Used to go to Ocean City in the mid to late 70’s. Great times indeed. The Windjammer if i recall. Watched Dave Parker throw out somebody from the warning tracking in the Allstar game. Broadwalk was changing then already… but oh the girls. Riding those waves

11 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

How about south or west of OC? Like this area. Are the surrounding areas a safe place to live? 

62cf71e73e051_SouthofOC.PNG.31d8fb2e54ed5fb4064cf46fdb113de1.PNG

Also, I'm planning on bringing a kayak to do some sharking and bay fishing with, and I don't want to stay in OC because of the risk of theft from hooligans. I have a nice kayak lock but I'm afraid there are determined criminals with the tools to take it. It's not like a $2,500 yak, just a little pelican but right now it's all I've got and I have put about $200 into modding it (anchor trolley, rails, fish finder and mount, etc). Of course I'm probably just paranoid, but I don't want to lose my yak. Is there a safer place to stay? Maybe go camping at AI? I think that would be fun and convenient too, as that's where I fish most of the time. Maybe stay in West OC away from the action of the main island? Or am I just overthinking it? Sorry for all these questions. When it comes to my gear, I tend to worry about theft, especially in the summer when everybody's out and about. Thanks

My house is basically in the center of your circle. I leave my truck unlocked at night sometimes. With all the fishing gear in it.

I’ve gotten away with it so far.

7 hours ago, spinr0k said:

@ProSkateFisherman Where are you coming from that the crime rate is so low that OC bothers you?

It normally doesn’t really bother me. Lately I’ve been watching the news more than usual and it got me worried about crime.  But I think I am really overthinking it. Most, if not all of the people I’ve met down there have been nothing but kind and helpful to me. I don’t think most people are setting out to steal a 10’ kayak and most people don’t carry bolt cutters. I think most of what happens is on the boardwalk, which I tend to stay away from. And like people have said, they’ve been going there for many years and haven’t had any problems, and neither have I. In May I saw a guy with a nicer kayak on his roof with no lock on it even, and if he was fine then I’ll be fine too.  So I think I’m just gonna turn the tv off and not worry about it as much. If something happens, it happens, but it probably won’t. 

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

I'm south of Berlin in Newark.

Been here since '81, last year put in new side and back doors so now I have keys to the doors but before that never even had a key. 

Definitely a very low crime area. My neighbor across the street does the air b&b, can pretty much guarantee nobody will mess your stuff there.

The boardwalk can get rough especially after dark. I stay in north OC for the most part (90-100 st),  its busy but not rough. We have resident friends in west O and OP. Between assateague and them, I find myself over there a lot more than in actual "OC".