Matt7082

bay/River Striper and Reds rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This thread is turning out to be a collection of everyone's favorite rod, but does not answer the question. You have to take into consideration your casting ability, demand for accuracy, distance, casting style. For instance I just purchased the echo boost blue. It was specifically designed for aggressive short casting stroke and would not be good for every caster. You may have a longer slower stroke so a medium fast rod might be better for you. I had a sage 10ft 8wt years ago to fish the Delaware river a big river. I liked it because I had more line control and could mend better. I sometimes would utilize a riffle hitch to present the fly perpendicular to the fish sitting in his lane and the current. They get a better look with a broadside presentation. In a river it's not all about casting and stripping you want to swing the fly sometimes. Same thing goes in a fast moving estuary flow A faster rod will give you a tighter loop and better distance but accuracy might suffer.There is a salt pond in RI I wade out to almost the channel up to my chest. I would have liked a 10 footer to help keeping my backcast off the water. Take some of these points into consideration and you'll answer your question. Decide what part of casting and fishing is most important. You know the most about your needs.

Edited by onthefly

I got a Douglas lrs 10 ft 8wt a year ago and love it in the river. It comes with a interchangeable short and long butt. You can do Skagit style casting, single hand spey or do two hand and single overhead cast. Gives you great versatility with the sink tips you can put on the head.

13 hours ago, onthefly said:

This thread is turning out to be a collection of everyone's favorite rod, but does not answer the question. You have to take into consideration your casting ability, demand for accuracy, distance, casting style. For instance I just purchased the echo boost blue. It was specifically designed for aggressive short casting stroke and would not be good for every caster. You may have a longer slower stroke so a medium fast rod might be better for you. I had a sage 10ft 8wt years ago to fish the Delaware river a big river. I liked it because I had more line control and could mend better. I sometimes would utilize a riffle hitch to present the fly perpendicular to the fish sitting in his lane and the current. They get a better look with a broadside presentation. In a river it's not all about casting and stripping you want to swing the fly sometimes. Same thing goes in a fast moving estuary flow A faster rod will give you a tighter loop and better distance but accuracy might suffer.There is a salt pond in RI I wade out to almost the channel up to my chest. I would have liked a 10 footer to help keeping my backcast off the water. Take some of these points into consideration and you'll answer your question. Decide what part of casting and fishing is most important. You know the most about your needs.

True -- I have been using  a 10ft Loomis IMX pro 7wt in the outflow I often fish since I wade out over my waist often. Like Onthefly said- keeps my backcast off the water & is much better for mending, specially on the outgoing tide.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:55 AM, Matt7082 said:

Soooo…I can’t believe I forgot about this…

I heard last week that Hardy was warranting old Greys rods and upgrading them to top-shelf Hardy rods. I don’t quite know the exact details, so I stopped into my local shop and asked. Basically if you have an old Greys rod that just happens to be broken, you can warranty it and replace it with ANY rod in the Hardy lineup for a $75 fee. 

Coincidentally, I had an old broken Greys Steeamflex in my garage that I bought about 20 years ago and I brought it to my loca Hardy dealer and they ordered me an 8wt Zane Pro to replace my old Greys. What a deal! 

Zane Pro is a great rod.  Have it in 7, 9, 10.

How do you like it so far?

9 hours ago, BrokeOff said:

Zane Pro is a great rod.  Have it in 7, 9, 10.

How do you like it so far?

I haven't received the rod. It should be in any day now. I casted it briefly at the shop, and boy it's a beauty! But we all know every rod feels great in the grass at the shop. We'll see how it feels with some and wind and a fly on the end.