Matt7082

bay/River Striper and Reds rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Folks, I am in the market for a rod for fishing bays and rivers for small stripers and small reds. I have been out of the saltwater flyfishing loop for many years now. What rods might you recommend? I would mostly be fishing an intermediate line in the 8wt range. May throw a sinking line once or twice in the fall if I get an opportunity at albies. I really like T&T, not sure between Sextant and Exocett. Open to other brands as well. 

Edited by Matt7082

I use an Loomis NRX. I really like the action. My advice would be if possible try a bunch of rods, find a couple that you like and then visit various sites looking for a used one. I am not kidding when I say that of the dozen or so rods I use one was bought brand new, and all of them are high end. Just my opinion.

Small stripers, small redfish - can use a 7wt rod unless you expect the occasionally much larger fish.  Also I agree with the suggestion above to look for a used rod in nice shape.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Shady Jr. Cast, cast, cast and cast some more. Try as many different brands as you can. 

Interweb and magazine reviews are wonderful, as long as you cast exactly like the reviewer. 

Gents, I appreciate the advice! Yeah, I guess I was more soliciting for a good starting point. I have been out of the game for quite a while. I think I'd prefer something in the 8wt-10wt category to help deal with wind, and maybe some day get lucky and have a shot at some bigger fish. The Loomis NRX is definitely on my list to cast. What's everyone else fishing with these days? 

I have NRX, Exocetts and Sextants.  Using sextants now as they're the newer toy and enjoy casting them.  Get the 9 Sextant 

What is your budget?  For a really  quality product, with a great price point and customer service, look no further then Colton.  I fish their products..

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/1/2022 at 1:07 PM, 27conch said:

What is your budget?  For a really  quality product, with a great price point and customer service, look no further then Colton.  I fish their products..

Budget is not too much of a worry. I know nothing about Colton. I have only ever heard of a few folks on SOL mention that brand. Otherwise never heard anything about them. I will take a look. Thanks! 

Edited by Matt7082

On 8/1/2022 at 0:46 PM, BWalsh said:

I have NRX, Exocetts and Sextants.  Using sextants now as they're the newer toy and enjoy casting them.  Get the 9 Sextant 

Noted! I appreciate the reply! 

If you're looking for an Exocett, note they have been discontinued - they still have other rods with the 'Exocett' name on them (the SS series for example), but I don't think that's what you're looking for (although on the flip side, I have a 350 grain Exocett SS and it's a great rod - you could try out the 250 grain version, which would generally fall into the 8 wt wheelhouse)...

Another rod I have (speaking of NRX rods) is the new NRX T2 fly rods. It's basically a replacement to their prior pro 1 one piece rods (it's a two pc rod, but the butt section is only a little over a foot long, while the other section makes up the remainder of what is a 9' rod - so on one hand, I highly recommend this rod, but bear in mind its not something you travel with (other than driving yourself or with your buddies)...The other 'perk' with this rod is that if you do break the upper section, you just pay G Loomis/Shimano $90 and they send a new upper section no questions asked

Try as many as you can -- but keep in mind the fly line which I find, is key factor in matching up with the rod.

For small reds/ small to med sized stripers/ blues you can easily use a 7 (as Killie said), or to cover more bases an 8. No need for a 9 as that would be overkill.

All the rods you mentioned are top shelf - Sextant, Loomis NRX+, Ross Sector.   There's also the Sage Maverick at around $650 which is very nice. Of course a used Meridian or Exocett are also very, very nice.

Soooo…I can’t believe I forgot about this…

I heard last week that Hardy was warranting old Greys rods and upgrading them to top-shelf Hardy rods. I don’t quite know the exact details, so I stopped into my local shop and asked. Basically if you have an old Greys rod that just happens to be broken, you can warranty it and replace it with ANY rod in the Hardy lineup for a $75 fee. 

Coincidentally, I had an old broken Greys Steeamflex in my garage that I bought about 20 years ago and I brought it to my loca Hardy dealer and they ordered me an 8wt Zane Pro to replace my old Greys. What a deal!