codfish

RonZ lures

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For many years when I was at Goose hummock shop my good friend Ron Poirier would come in and it was always a pleasure we would look forward to RISSA, where would walk the show together checking out what's new in fishing, it's been a few years since his passing but I sure do miss him, here he is "I did not take the picture" in my book Ron was a friend and a legend.

spf1013_gbt_5.jpg

Edited by codfish

2 mins ago, codfish said:

For many years when I was at Goose hummock shop my good friend Ron Poirier would come in and it was always a pleasure we would look forward to the RISSA where would walk the show together checking out what's new in fishing, it's been a few years since his passing but I sure do miss him, here he is with a big tuna "I did not take the picture" in my book Ron was a friend and a legend.

spf1013_gbt_5.jpg

Book? More info please - I'd like to read it!

Never met him, but he was a big part of the soft plastix revolution. :th:

9 mins ago, finbar said:

Book? More info please - I'd like to read it!

No book, just lots of stories and memories of days spent fishing together.

13 mins ago, codfish said:

No book, just lots of stories and memories of days spent fishing together.

My bad - misunderstood. 

Posted (edited)

This lure talked to me at the shop the other day.  So I had to get it.  1/4oz in Green Glow.  103011-ronz-original-series-lure-green-glow_2_1.jpg.2ae9c1bf9cd09e84f2f05a40d2986982.jpg

Never fished a RonZ before.  

Wish they didn't have such a gap in sizing.  Goes from 1/4oz to 1oz.  Nothing in between. :shrug:

Edited by PSegnatelli

I remember when you had to know someone to get them. I never met him but followed his story after being turned on by a commercial fisherman that caught tons on a RonZ.  Bass and bluefin.  A true legend. I always heard he was a real nice guy. 

31 mins ago, Kones1 said:

I remember when you had to know someone to get them. I never met him but followed his story after being turned on by a commercial fisherman that caught tons on a RonZ.  Bass and bluefin.  A true legend. I always heard he was a real nice guy. 

"real nice guy." He was:th: 

RonZ lure remains to be my go to when trying to catch finicky fish especially hardtails in the fall, albies and bonito's love them! 

4 hours ago, codfish said:

For many years when I was at Goose hummock shop my good friend Ron Poirier would come in and it was always a pleasure we would look forward to RISSA, where would walk the show together checking out what's new in fishing, it's been a few years since his passing but I sure do miss him, here he is "I did not take the picture" in my book Ron was a friend and a legend.

spf1013_gbt_5.jpg

After making the switch to lures from chunking my PB came on a black RonZ

It opened up a  whole world of jigging for me.

I have that patch that he has on his arm. 

4 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

This lure talked to me at the shop the other day.  So I had to get it.  1/4oz in Green Glow.  103011-ronz-original-series-lure-green-glow_2_1.jpg.2ae9c1bf9cd09e84f2f05a40d2986982.jpg

Never fished a RonZ before.  

Wish they didn't have such a gap in sizing.  Goes from 1/4oz to 1oz.  Nothing in between. :shrug:

They have 1/2oz heads that fit the 6" and maybe 8" tails. Just got some.

29 mins ago, ermghoti said:

They have 1/2oz heads that fit the 6" and maybe 8" tails. Just got some.

Thanks.  Ill have to keep an eye out.   

ron was great.  i always knew him more fir THE tuna lure he created with feedback from some local (outer cape) charter captain friends.  his lure and van staal rods and reels to me were the start of the “tuna on spinning revolution” that now everyone takes for granted.  i still have some of the original ronz heads we acquired back in the day - and some of the never finished prototypes developed for trolling for tuna with spinning rods.

i used a couple of those heads and draggers last week - very successfully…:)

16 mins ago, nicknotsebastian said:

ron was great.  i always knew him more fir THE tuna lure he created with feedback from some local (outer cape) charter captain friends.  his lure and van staal rods and reels to me were the start of the “tuna on spinning revolution” that now everyone takes for granted.  i still have some of the original ronz heads we acquired back in the day - and some of the never finished prototypes developed for trolling for tuna with spinning rods.

i used a couple of those heads and draggers last week - very successfully…:)

:th:Here is a Ronz trivia ? what was the original Ronz lures name??