Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Some Info From Hatteras Island.....

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Took this from one of the vacation rental agencies' website:

Hurricane Isabel 9/18/03 11:10 pm

Stewart Couch here...(via poor cell service in Avon and transcribed by my web guy)

Dare County has issued a curfew from 8:00pm to 12:00 noon 9/19, for all of Dare County.

The damage has been considerable from Frisco to Ocracoke, and less so in Buxton and Avon. In Hatteras Village the ocean breached between the parking turnout and Roccos Pizza, a stretch of about one mile. The Sea Gull Motel, the Cabanas, Durrant Station, and The Pelican convenience store were all destroyed.

Flood waters pushed the laundry facility out of our Hatteras Village office and there is 4 feet of water inside the office.

Currently there is no electrical service on Hatteras Island and almost no telephone service.

Between Avon and Buxton the ocean breached the dunes in at least 4 places and cut the dunes to sea level. The Red Drum shopping center in buxton, my family's business, is under four feet of water.

The dunes are gone at the buxton motels and as a result they experienced great damage at ground level.

In Avon and Buxton there are a great number of homes with shingle damage and a number with broken windows. Even so, Avon did not flood like Buxton and Hatteras Villages. With the extent of damage up north we won't be able to get workers to repair the damage in a timely manner. Our property owners should make preparations to come down ASAP with a handyman or work crew who can also repair roofs. Most of my crew is in Rocky Mount (where they should be) and it will take several days to get them back and geared up. There is a tremendous amount of work to do and there are only a dozen brave souls here with me.

For Avon and Buxton this storm was not as bad as hurricane Emily in 1993. For the Frisco Beach community and all of Hatteras Village, it was much worse. We can put our community and houses back together quickly if we all pitch in. We will be working diligently to restore our community to pre-Isabel status, but it is going to take a group effort.

I am going to try to rest after 5 hours of sleep in the past three days, and will try to update you again in the morning.

Thanks... R. Stewart Couch