surfstryker

Low Profile Baitcaster Question Fluking/Plugging

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Italianbuca said:

I have lexa 300's and 400's that I use for 9ft 10ft rods. I primarily go for the 300's as they are less cumbersome. All of my reels I spool with 30lb braid then adjust the leader as necessary.

I use smaller sized reels for my boat rods and fluking rods (100 and 200 series abu garcia's revo x inshores and quantums). 

thank you - really helpful re 300 vs. 400. Sounds like I'm going to go 300 to start with.

7 mins ago, surfstryker said:

thank you - really helpful re 300 vs. 400. Sounds like I'm going to go 300 to start with.

If I remember I'll take a picture side by side. 

The 300 definitely casts better, at least for me. I find that it is a smoother cast. 

The 400 is nice for the increased capacity, but I don't feel undergunned by any means. It is nice for deep bottom fishing.

Posted (edited)

On 7/11/2022 at 6:15 PM, surfstryker said:

I've seen variations of this answered in my searches of the forums but hoping to find specific advice. I'm thinking about diving into the world of baitcasters for the salt and want to get one reel for 2 applications (I cringe when I say that as I know it can be difficult). Anyway the two applications are 1) ocean fluking/sea bassing in 50+ feet depth, max 90ish and 2) throwing large swimming plugs (eg GRS) to stripers from a boat. I will have separate rods for each application. 

Can I get away with a 30 LB braid spool for this or do I need to up to 50LB for the larger plugs? I run 30LB on my current deep water fluke setups (avet sx's) so not sure how much of a difference I'd see if I went to 50LB.

Re gear, I'm between the Lexa and Tranx and the 300/400 models. The Lexa 400 appears to be very large and with that, great line capacity. Will the Lexa 300 be enough reel for what I'm looking to do? I hear a lot of praise for the Tranx as well but am unsure of whether the 300 or 400 is the way to go. 

Any recommendations for reel and line are greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

I sling large wood with my lexa400-HD's and there is no problem, as for line I use mono only(20-25lb) so I cannot help you with braid but, IMO the 300 is too small for my liking,, I wouldn't hunt bear with a 22,,, no doubt some here will say otherwise but, my reality tells me the 400 is the size to go with.

When I get OTW I am not playing, I stay loaded for hear. 

H⚔️H

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

18 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

You see a lot more 300s in the hands or musky pluggers than 400s.

Do you ever wonder why that is?

H⚔️H

Posted (edited)

Neither do fluke, and to be honest I think there are few if any stripers I hooked that would spool that reel unless you had some seriously heavy line on it. More line than any salmon to 65 lbs has ever needed, more line than most white sturgeon to 8 ft long have needed, even in heavy western river currents like the Columbia and Frazier Rivers just  below the last dam. I can't imagine how those fly anglers do it with the low capacity of backing they have.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Size wise - the difference between the Lexa 300 vs 400 is huge. The 300 feels like a beefy freshwater bait caster, very nice comfortable size, the 400 is much, much bigger. The 300 has 22 lbs of drag,"caliber wise" - much bigger than a "22". 

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Musky don't make long runs.

Def true, bass, a lifetime bass could make one wish they were holding a 400 HD instead of a 300.

A ,60 in decent moon current could do so.

After what happened to me in 2002,loaded for bear it is. 

H⚔️H

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, husonfirst said:

I think 30lb on the Lexa 300 is perfect.  I don't see the need to upsize to the 400.

Still in all, I am staying loaded for bear.

My hands are big so, 400 it will stay. 

H⚔️H

Posted (edited)

To be clear which models of Lexas are people speaking of?  The HD line or the TW line?

There is a considerable difference in size as Daiwa has been as a whole moving to more compact bodies and T-wing on its lo pro lines.  The Lexa TW line is a salt adapted bearing 21 tatula 300-400 reels.  They all use ss pinion / brass main.  The Tat use the hyper digi gear cut vs the lexas standard digi gear cut.  2 CRBB +5 S-RAB +1RB vs all 8 CRBB + 1 RB bearings

With that said line capacity should not be an issue even with the smaller Lexa 300 tw reels.

I think pe#1.5-2.0  0.205mm-0.235mm (26-30lb) on a Lexa 300 TW will allows for 300M + (330yd+). HD ver even more capacity with the 300hd holding pe# 2.0 0.235mm 30lb 400-430m (437-470yd) / pe#3.0 0.300mm 50lb 266m (290yd). Of course you can jump to the largest 400 hd series for the most capacity and strength.   Then you could jump to pe#3-4.

Can not see for most of the likely targeted fish needing more than 300m of pe#2.0 line. That gives you the benefit of a more compact lighter reel.

Edited by RiverShoulders

I have the original Lexa size 400. Very versatile size. I throw it on lighter rods for fluking but also on a heaver for  pulling Tog from the jetties. 

You keep hearing about drag pressure like more is better without understanding what has been successful for generations before. Penn 209 drag 8 lbs. Penn 4/0 Senator 18-19 lbs. Can you imagine the amount of fish those reels have boated? Far larger fish than are the norm now,  if your reel goes from zero to full drag in say 3 rotations, which would be the more sensitive drag to minor adjustments you may need to do? 8/3, 18/3, 22/3?