surfstryker

Low Profile Baitcaster Question Fluking/Plugging

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I've seen variations of this answered in my searches of the forums but hoping to find specific advice. I'm thinking about diving into the world of baitcasters for the salt and want to get one reel for 2 applications (I cringe when I say that as I know it can be difficult). Anyway the two applications are 1) ocean fluking/sea bassing in 50+ feet depth, max 90ish and 2) throwing large swimming plugs (eg GRS) to stripers from a boat. I will have separate rods for each application. 

Can I get away with a 30 LB braid spool for this or do I need to up to 50LB for the larger plugs? I run 30LB on my current deep water fluke setups (avet sx's) so not sure how much of a difference I'd see if I went to 50LB.

Re gear, I'm between the Lexa and Tranx and the 300/400 models. The Lexa 400 appears to be very large and with that, great line capacity. Will the Lexa 300 be enough reel for what I'm looking to do? I hear a lot of praise for the Tranx as well but am unsure of whether the 300 or 400 is the way to go. 

Any recommendations for reel and line are greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

IMHO 30 lb. is fine.

I use a Lexa 400 for the first use you describe. No experience, therefore no comment, on casting to stripers from a boat.

Gents?

21 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Surfstryker, I like your take on Blackbeard's flag.

thanks man! so this is Bartholemew Roberts flag, aka Black Bart. Some people say its him sharing a drink with death, others that he is holding an hour glass with death. I like both :)

I bought a Penn Squall 400lphs last month, I put it on a 8' Daiwa Td bait caster rod it's a little heavy for fluke from a low pier, But is great for a boat and from a high pier.  Now forthe surf I use a Star rod  spinning 7' 6" 1/2 to 2 oz for the surf for fluke. For jigging from a pier I have a Star rod 6'6" back bay bait caster , I just bough a Quantum  Accurist for it , like the one John Skinner uses.  She will get a workout this week.

the 300 and 400 are just narrow or wider versions of the spool.

run a 300 for thinner line 20, 400 for thicker 40. problem solved.

both can double duty as shore reels also.

Tranx 400HG, 65lb J-Braid 8, 80lb fluorocarbon leader.  The 400 is easy to cast and comfortable in my hands.

IMG_E8117.JPG

You can definitely use 30lb braid for both, but one bad cast and bird nest could snap that pricey GRS right off. That said, you’re probably fine with 30lb just don’t try to cast really hard/far and you’re good.

I’d personally “feel” better using 50lb with $100+ plugs but wouldn’t fluke with that heavy of line either so 1 braid for both applications will be a compromise.

Just now, hairyfishhead said:

You can definitely use 30lb braid for both, but one bad cast and bird nest could snap that pricey GRS right off. That said, you’re probably fine with 30lb just don’t try to cast really hard/far and you’re good.

I’d personally “feel” better using 50lb with $100+ plugs but wouldn’t fluke with that heavy of line either so 1 braid for both applications will be a compromise.

thanks! this is exactly what i was looking for re braid selection. its the old two application conundrum. always have to make a compromise or just buy two outfits! LOL 

Just now, surfstryker said:

thanks! this is exactly what i was looking for re braid selection. its the old two application conundrum. always have to make a compromise or just buy two outfits! LOL 

Yup I hear ya haha. I’d get a 300 reel and try 30lb first. It’ll be awesome for fluke and “good” for big plugs, just be careful as you're learning to cast and diligent with your knots.

I usually use a Curado 300 with 65lb braid for big soft plastics and plugs. Definitely feel it has major advantages over a spinning reel in deeper fast water and to drift lures in current, thumbing the spool as they go out.

Revo beast 40 with 30 lb braid. I use this blackishing, deep fluke and all around bass fishing. Small size with power and lighter than the other reels

I have lexa 300's and 400's that I use for 9ft 10ft rods. I primarily go for the 300's as they are less cumbersome. All of my reels I spool with 30lb braid then adjust the leader as necessary.

I use smaller sized reels for my boat rods and fluking rods (100 and 200 series abu garcia's revo x inshores and quantums).