A trip alone in an ocean kayak - reviewing this kayak on the open sea
3/5 

Evening trip for an ocean kayak review session
4/5 

Testing Ocean Kayaks in open water
5/5 
How do we test

anastasia-staff-writer-divein-150x150.jp torben-editor-divein_small-150x150.jpg

Disclosure: We are reader supported, and earnaffiliate commissionswhen you buy through us.

There are different kayaks available in the market. Each has different features depending on where you might want to use it. In calm waters, kayak with basic design and functionality will do. But if you are going to deal with strong currents and strong wind, you need to choose a kayak that can adapt to these elements.

Ocean kayak is now becoming a trend due to water sports popularity. These can vary from an inflatable, a tandem, or a sit-on-top option.

So, you may be asking the following questions:

• What features should I look for in an ocean kayak?
  • Do I have to carry a life jacket with me?
  • How do I stay safe when kayaking in the ocean?
  • How do I anchor an ocean kayak?
  • Is it hard to kayak in the ocean?

To help you decide on which one suits you, we differentiate 12 ocean kayak in this hands-on guide. Instead of buying impulsively, take a look, and read the pros and cons of each model.

The Top 5 Ocean Kayaks in 2022

Edited by dbjpb
Missing info

Seems to be missing a bit of info here... And is this a heavily budget list exclusive? FWIW, I only see Hobie and Oldtown by the open water near me in RI.  

Not sure why Hobie was not included in the  list? It did list the ocean kayak prowler. Many  of these kayaks are not fishing kayaks. I did not make up the list. I found it doing an internet search?

1 min ago, dbjpb said:

Not sure why Hobie was not included in the  list? It did list the ocean kayak prowler. Many  of these kayaks are not fishing kayaks. I did not make up the list. I found it doing an internet search?

Quite the bizarre list. Not least because it says 2022 but the Prowler is discontinued. Might as well list the top 5 R&R bands and let the comments fly!  At least there's a good case to be made for the ORU, saw  a couple with them last weekend at a lake. Amazingly they even make a model that can take a sprayskirt and eskimo roll.

I vote no on Prowler. I felt tippy in mine in lake. Sold it. Wear your life jacket, number 1 rule of kayaking. I use Hobie pa14 and Brooklyn pk13 in saltwater.  Both are very stable. Can stand on calm days. I sold my prowler. 

Yeah ... so ... clicked on the Pescador 12 link, and the Amazon details says "item weight 50 pounds" ... really? Perception says weight of the kayak is 85 lbs, and not sure if that is loaded or stripped.

Fact checking may be in order

Not to change the topic, but my bucket list includes Kayaking the Mississippi from St Louis to New Orleans when I retire (no locks south of St Louis).  

Any recommended Kayak?  I've been out of it long enough to know I need to get caught up on both the latest tech and to get some good training. 

I have the Perception Pesc 12 and, like jeffreyrichard said: it weighs 85 not 50lbs. The boat def has some pros and cons. If you're somebody who has easy access to calmer water I'd recommend this yak. It's very stable, comes with any-direction propulsion, nearly universal easy mounting of transducer thru a scupper, and is comfortable for people 5'8" to 6'7"

I got it 4-5 years ago because I could afford it: $1700 delivered. Now I'll tell you why I wish I would've waited for an affordable Hobie or other big name yak:

The flat hull is stable but doesn't track well, it slaps over, instead of cutting thru waves. It is a beast to load/move. Maybe it's only 85lbs but the shape of it makes it unruly. Other than the transducer thru the scupper, it isn't easy to rig: the rod holders are useless until DYI, the factory tracks are short, and most after market riggings are built for the bigger name yaks. The bicycle propulsion system does have instant reverse but hangs down 18" under boat (will pick up weeds and you might run aground) and is about 66-75% as fast as a hobie rev. The removal and stowing of the pedal drive is doable but a little more difficult than a Hobie. You're not gonna get the same customer support, availability of parts, and community knowledge for a Perception as you will for other yaks. 

A friend of mine watched message boards for a year and scored a loaded Hobie in good condition for less than I paid. My primary yak partner also scored a used Hobie Rev and has less trouble rigging, transporting, and navigating rougher water. When we walk, bicycle, or wade we are the same speed, but in our respective yaks he leaves me behind.

Sorry for writing a book but this might help others make a decision about questions I often see posed in this forum. In calm water I can stand up on the PPP 12, I can position myself in medium current on any side of the bridge and cast, 'instant reverse' is great for getting in tight to rocks and then backing away once a fish is hooked. It is an okay fishing boat for easy conditions salt, it's a very good boat for back bays and lakes. The tracking and speed are fine when current, wind, and waves are not issues. 

I see these “articles” where everything sends you to Amazon and feel like it’s done to put $ in the pocket of the author instead of educating the consumer.