Kids leaving the house…

Rate this topic

HugeDinghy

You can spend some quality time considering where to invest the money you'll be saving on laundry detergent.

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Just now, MitchellNJ said:

I never minded it. She came home way more than she thought. It's nicer having them come home than live home. It's different in a good way. That being said, if you don't have enough things to keep you busy by yourself, both empty nest or retirement isn't for you.

I worry about that based on how many of our retirees drop dead. As long as my body doesn't fail me before then, I'll have plenty to do. 

8 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

How’d you deal with it? I’m less than two months out and have no idea how I’m gonna make it. Middle going to URI and youngest to prep. They were both gone the last week and it was horrible. And that’s knowing they were gonna be back ina week. 

here is an idea: 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

When we dropped the Golden Child off at College, there were counselors and teachers at various street corners around the campus with boxes of tissues to help parents.  We pulled up and told the guy, no give backs.  Really wasn't an issue for us because we knew he was coming home, and the other two were around.  He lasted 1 semester.

Today, the oldest is in Alaska with TLD and little sister is one week into her first apartment in Denver.  I was a little shaky with that and I think more because of the unknown.  Cross country travel, etc.  Now that she's there I'm fine.  My wife thinks she's coming back.  Not gonna happen.

Ours have kinda come and gone and we still have the golden child at home and Andrew will be back in September.

You raised smart independent kids, look at this as a progression and accomplishment.  Our job is to get them out of the house and on their own.  You'll be fine. 

#otterlivesmatter

5 mins ago, JaseB said:

Being home, dinner for two sounds painful. 

I'm used to cooking for 5, and being down to 3 is an adjustment.  half time time he eats on his own and its just us.  it's rather pleasant, although I do miss the conversation.  One thing we always enjoyed was having dinner as a family.  It's something that they have told us they appreciated.  If I did one thing right it was that. 

Im looking forward to seeing how much money we save on the grocery bill. :laugh: 

#otterlivesmatter

We became empty nesters in January.

The daughter graduated college, and found a place of her own a few miles away.

The wife and daughter text each other every day.

Me and the wife have a feeling of "Our job is Done", but it really never is.

The daughter still needs help and guidance, just not as much.

I was afraid the wife would be a mess, but she has expanded her hobbies, and we actually talk more than before.

5 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

That being said, if you don't have enough things to keep you busy by yourself, both empty nest or retirement isn't for you.

Mine asked yesterday, what are you (me) going to do today. 

I dunno, sit outside, read my book and smoke a cigar.  

Of course you are. :squid:

I'm more worried about what to do with my marriage now that the kids are getting out than anything else. :laugh: 

#otterlivesmatter

Just now, HugeDinghy said:

It’s the youngest that’s getting me. I had my eye on a few years from now. This came about pretty quickly. Them both being gone this passed week really kicked me in the nuts. 

My sister and I both left within a year. I was 23 and my sister about the same when she left. She had come and gone before as she went to college and did a lot of travel. My dad wasn't happy when we left. He was divorced though and it was still kinda fresh at that point. My brother was only 16, so he had him there for a while. Not his favorite kid though lol.