Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. July 11 - July 17

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The fish blog was created as a common communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. Having this information in one thread benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fifth year for this type of approach. Post your success or skunks, either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or bad.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel we have at our disposal to predict where the better fishing will be tomorrow.  

Looks like a good week of weather coming up nearing a Full Moon Tide.

Let's hope we find clear water.

Last week's trips were great with lots of jumbo stripers on a fly and 10 lbs. bluefish.

Go get 'um!

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Oddly enough; my usual fishing partner went out this past Fri evening (solo) and got the skunk- no signs of other than the usual schoolie hit here and there.

We went out Sat evening three of us; 2 of us throwing live eels, while the other played with artificial's to see if they'd take.  I ended up bouncing between eels and plugs which only resulted in 1 schoolie bass for myself on a SS translucent needle.  One other buddy managed one schoolie as well on a sluggo, the other friend left skunked.  We hit 3 "big fish / summer spots" that all three of us have had fish over the 25-30lb threshold. 

The tide for one was non-favorable, and with the upcoming big moon coming.... I did see in my years past catch logs that this tends to happen prior to the big moon phase. Actually the pattern (which makes sense) shows reputable fish being caught in MUCH deeper waters with open water exposure versus the more tidal influenced spots.  I guess we are all preaching the same choir song though boys unfortunately.

These next few days things will turn around from what the logs dictate.   

Cheers guys,

Chris C.

I’ve been blown away by my log book from this year to last with zero similarity. Been faithfully working at it but from what it looks like is a big disconnect from the norm out here. Nothing to hold fish in the shallows, yet

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

Free BI bumper stickers

20220711_074856.jpg

Reality is stranger than fiction.

Who know what's going on with the sand eels closer to shore.

There's been no fish on coastal structure what so ever.  

9 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Reality is stranger than fiction.

Who know what's going on with the sand eels closer to shore.

There's been no fish on coastal structure what so ever.  

This is the first year that I did not see sand eels in the channel. I did not get a single bite in SW point .. Not to mention that you hardly see more than 2 boats in the Ledge or black rock after 9 AM..

God only knows what’s the reason for a lousy year in BI.

13 hours ago, levari said:

God only knows what’s the reason for a lousy year in BI.

Close to shore, maybe the seal population is having an effect, pushing the fish off structure to deeper water.

Last count I counted over 150 seals at North Rip, Sandy Point before the tourist season.

Lots of pups mixed in, they are colonizing there. During the tourist season many of them spread out along the other coast and beaches to avoid the crowds at the rip.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

2 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Close to shore, maybe the seal population is having an effect, pushing the fish off structure to deeper water.

Last count I counted over 150 seals at North Rip, Sandy Point before the tourist season.

Lots of pups mixed in, they are colonizing there. During the tourist season many of them spread out along the other coast and beaches to avoid the crowds at the rip.

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

This theory does not explain the poor fishing at the ledge for example… also this time of year I don’t see a different number of seals on the east side. 

6 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

What’s going in next to Quaker lane B&T? 

I was wondering the same thing I live 2 minutes from there!

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

Has to be commercial with that layout. 

I'm guessing cube storage, a chance to bust mine?

3 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

I was wondering the same thing I live 2 minutes from there!

Hey! Me too. I was hoping something more exciting than medical buildings but hey it could be worse