Topside2

How they bitin'? Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

432 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

Big surf today, along with some weed and a current that made chunking virtually impossible.   

This weather sucks haha 

1 hour ago, MainelySmallies said:

Yeah but it's fishy as hell so I'll take it. Better than the blue skies and sunny days

I hear ya man. If the surf is big and it’s cloudy/ rainy out all the better but usually in those conditions it’s too weedy or too strong of a rip current to fish in my spots. 

Posted (edited)

Got 5 at one of my favorite river mouths this morning.  Water was clean and a beautiful overcast morning.

Something else is swimming around at the mouth.   Not sure, but I'm guessing browns or shad/herring??  Mostly staying close to the banks.  Tried a kastmaster but no takes.  Surfacing looks a lot like trout would do...

Edited by Skunkoff

4 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Got 5 at one of my favorite river mouths this morning.  Water was clean and a beautiful overcast morning.

Something else is swimming around at the mouth.   Not sure, but I'm guessing browns or shad/herring??  Mostly staying close to the banks.  Tried a kastmaster but no takes.  Surfacing looks a lot like trout would do...

Interesting…

20 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

above portland or below?

Posted (edited)

Smoked them this morning. At least 15-20 fish mostly in slot, 15”-34”. Had a blast watching them flying out of the water trying to take my pencil popper 

Edited by CotroneOnIce

4 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Below

I've been seeing and caching quite a few shad in 2 rivers below Portland lately. Most of the sea run browns I've caught have been very subtle, just a swirl next to the bank at most while lately some of the shad were clearing the water chasing bait. Back at it tomorrow...

10 mins ago, stormy monday said:

I've been seeing and caching quite a few shad in 2 rivers below Portland lately. Most of the sea run browns I've caught have been very subtle, just a swirl next to the bank at most while lately some of the shad were clearing the water chasing bait. Back at it tomorrow...

Good to know.  I'm bringing some light stuff with me tomorrow. 

OK and I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I'm feeling like shad are now the ladyfish of New England. I think back to vacations where I'm hoping for some snook or maybe tarpon and end up saying "Well they were fun to catch on a gurgler and they jump pretty good" but they were ladyfish. That's the last few weeks, not finding stripers, plenty of bait and shad all over it. BTW a small fly, light rod and fast retrieve get it done, kind like mackerel. I will say they saved a skunk again tonight, one hit my fly just as it cleared the water on a backcast and that was pretty cool to watch, but man I need to find me some stripers. Just in case though I'll bring my 5 weight down from camp tomorrow so if I need to I can at least have some fun with them. Been hanging in a certain spot for weeks so still better than skunk, but it's getting close lol.

10 mins ago, stormy monday said:

OK and I don't mean this disrespectfully, but I'm feeling like shad are now the ladyfish of New England. I think back to vacations where I'm hoping for some snook or maybe tarpon and end up saying "Well they were fun to catch on a gurgler and they jump pretty good" but they were ladyfish. That's the last few weeks, not finding stripers, plenty of bait and shad all over it. BTW a small fly, light rod and fast retrieve get it done, kind like mackerel. I will say they saved a skunk again tonight, one hit my fly just as it cleared the water on a backcast and that was pretty cool to watch, but man I need to find me some stripers. Just in case though I'll bring my 5 weight down from camp tomorrow so if I need to I can at least have some fun with them. Been hanging in a certain spot for weeks so still better than skunk, but it's getting close lol.

Catch a couple of those shad, cut them into chunks, and go back there at night.

5 mins ago, Pickerel92 said:

Catch a couple of those shad, cut them into chunks, and go back there at night.

LOL. A guy gave me a fly rod when I was 12 and for like a year I couldn't figure out why, despite the fact I was doing it just like the guy on America Sportsman, my worm kept flying off the hook when I cast. Growing up nowhere near fresh water I had no idea what a fly was. Anyways thinking shad would probably cast lousy too. Despite all, what a gorgeous evening to be out there!

21 mins ago, stormy monday said:

LOL. A guy gave me a fly rod when I was 12 and for like a year I couldn't figure out why, despite the fact I was doing it just like the guy on America Sportsman, my worm kept flying off the hook when I cast. Growing up nowhere near fresh water I had no idea what a fly was. Anyways thinking shad would probably cast lousy too. Despite all, what a gorgeous evening to be out there!

lolololol