Topside2

How they bitin'? Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

432 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Nbourque said:

I paid $6 for 3 macs at Johnson’s in Brunswick bout a month ago. 

Ok thanks.  Sounds about the same as last time I bought.

40 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

Ok thanks.  Sounds about the same as last time I bought.

Kinda ridiculous but is what it is haha 

Crabs from hell yesterday, fished jetty side on sand. Used 3 good sized Mack’s chunkin and all got cleaned quick. Not a fish

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Crabs from hell yesterday, fished jetty side on sand. Used 3 good sized Mack’s chunkin and all got cleaned quick. Not a fish

Ugh! Were you out night or day?  How are the weeds.  South wind on Wednesday, hoping no weeds.

Or crabs!!

I remember many years ago, all I was catching was crabs, so I started keeping 'em.

Edited by Skunkoff

How long these damn weeds gonna stick around for? South wind prob doesn’t help. I wanna try again on Monday…

Posted (edited)

After getting skunked on fly and spinning gear from the beach the past few outings (Scarborough) , I fed 18 macks to the green crabs early this morning. Not a tap. Grabbed the spinning gear and headed back to the beach at 5. The SP Minnow (bone) picked up some shorts. Bite shut down just as the sun appeared.

Edited by chr1s

the green crabs in the harbor look like the hundreds of land crabs in S. Florida!  Never seen so many greenies, and not a striper.

I have an optimistic report.  Yesterday's winds forced me to try some new spots on the lee side.  Fishing from my boat, I got in close to the ledges and started casting a SP Minnow into the wash -- really close.   I caught 11 stripers between 22-28" with one 19" in the group.   Almost every fish I retrieved was accompanied by 4-5 others.  When I say close, I was bouncing my lure off of the ledges and the more turbid the water, the better.  It's a bit hairy getting that close and I would have done better if I had someone else with me to cast from the bow so I could maneuver the boat.  

I think that I'll try it again today. 

14 mins ago, Topside2 said:

I have an optimistic report.  Yesterday's winds forced me to try some new spots on the lee side.  Fishing from my boat, I got in close to the ledges and started casting a SP Minnow into the wash -- really close.   I caught 11 stripers between 22-28" with one 19" in the group.   Almost every fish I retrieved was accompanied by 4-5 others.  When I say close, I was bouncing my lure off of the ledges and the more turbid the water, the better.  It's a bit hairy getting that close and I would have done better if I had someone else with me to cast from the bow so I could maneuver the boat.  

You just let me know if you want someone to cast off the bow while you practice at the helm 

47 mins ago, Topside2 said:

Be interested to see how you do as yesterday’s wind was southwest which is very favorable but it turned north/northwest and cold.

1 min ago, Nbourque said:

NNE on Monday. Guess I’m not going that day. 

The spot I’ve been fishing lately is best in a north or northeast wind, by a mile. I think it depends on shoreline orientation?

I want the wind to create whitewater and the NE can tick that box. But straight NNW seems to coincide with flat seas, bright sun and tougher fishing. The white water is king! Especially what Topside described above.

37 mins ago, Sea Of Atlas said:

I want the wind to create whitewater and the NE can tick that box. But straight NNW seems to coincide with flat seas, bright sun and tougher fishing. The white water is king! Especially what Topside described above.

Right, that’s the key to the spot in question. Tons of white water on the rocks and that only happens there with a north or northeast blow.