Topside2

How they bitin'? Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

432 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

First skunk tonight in a while. To add insult to injury, a literal skunk darted in front of my truck on the way home. Tried to swerve but I hit the poor guy. So I got skunked twice tonight. 

Maybe you vanquished it for awhile now???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

First skunk tonight in a while. To add insult to injury, a literal skunk darted in front of my truck on the way home. Tried to swerve but I hit the poor guy. So I got skunked twice tonight. 

That's high level stuff.   Breezing through your skunk quota by doubling up in one night.   Very impressive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Maybe you vanquished it for awhile now???

 

1 hour ago, Topside2 said:

That's high level stuff.   Breezing through your skunk quota by doubling up in one night.   Very impressive!

I like this idea! Perhaps I have killed the skunk for this year, never to be skunked again. I'm going to operate under that assumption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MainelySmallies said:

First skunk tonight in a while. To add insult to injury, a literal skunk darted in front of my truck on the way home. Tried to swerve but I hit the poor guy. So I got skunked twice tonight. 

They know stuff (except how to get out of the way). :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2022 at 2:00 AM, MainelySmallies said:

First skunk tonight in a while. To add insult to injury, a literal skunk darted in front of my truck on the way home. Tried to swerve but I hit the poor guy. So I got skunked twice tonight. 

lol, sure it wasnt a drunk tourist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tons of fish in the river today. Nothing big,  but great fun. Tube and worm and a few on lures lost count, Massive schools of small bait. I believe they were schools of peanut bunker.  A few cold nights and the peanuts will be on the coast can't wait. I was away all summer in Newfoundland I need to make up for lost time. Some of my spots were to weedy to fish on the incoming but the outgoing really produced. I was kinda reminiscing on the way home today and realized I been catching stripers in the same spots since the early nineties. It seems I am a creature of habits and so are the stripe bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using mackerel tipped bucktails has been good in the harbor channel around the jetties, Sand eels are huge and plentiful. No fish with any large size. Fun, anytime of day/ meat smell is the difference, bucktail color made no difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son tells me that he was cut off on a blue fish in Casco Bay yesterday and he thinks that folks are trolling for blue fish .     Can anyone confirm blues in the Harps well area?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, Topside2 said:

My son tells me that he was cut off on a blue fish in Casco Bay yesterday and he thinks that folks are trolling for blue fish .     Can anyone confirm blues in the Harps well area?

 

If there is any bait around Drunkers Ledge that would be a good place to start.  We used to do well out there dragging deep diving lures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BradO said:

If there is any bait around Drunkers Ledge that would be a good place to start.  We used to do well out there dragging deep diving lures.

My wife was kayaking around Stovers cove yesterday and said there was a big pogy school in the cove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Haven't bought bait for a long time, but will need some in a pinch, as I'm hitting the beach Wednesday night with a buddy.  No time to catch any of my own.  What's been the going rate for macks?  Any change in price over last couple years?

 

If I could find a damn pogy school I'd be all set.

 

Also, what's the latest weed report out on open beaches?

Edited by Skunkoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As always this time of year.  Things have changed for the better 

 

 

quiet slow days in my hood have picked up significantly and if you know where to look you can find bait as some have moved back In 

 

topwater action the last few early mornings and nights hint at early staging fall activity 

 

fish are moving 

 

pogies were pretty much destroyed in my area by big boats 

 

now that they are shut down maybe what’s left schools back up for some fun but they are thin here 

 

I took about two weeks off in the midsummer blaze but have been sampling morning and evening the last 10 days 

 

it’s getting good.   
 

 

apologize to the better half in advance and get out there.

 

tight lines 

 

Jim 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skunkoff said:

Haven't bought bait for a long time, but will need some in a pinch, as I'm hitting the beach Wednesday night with a buddy.  No time to catch any of my own.  What's been the going rate for macks?  Any change in price over last couple years?

 

If I could find a damn pogy school I'd be all set.

 

Also, what's the latest weed report out on open beaches?

I paid $6 for 3 macs at Johnson’s in Brunswick bout a month ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.