MikeBlue

Hawks and Crows

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm coming home the other day at about 2 in the afternoon when I see a bunch of crows dive bombing something on my neighbor's lawn. I pull over there for a closer look, it's a hawk, and it's got a crow pinned on the ground. I recognize the hawk, it's a juvenile Red Shoulder, I've been seeing and hearing it in the neighborhood for a couple of weeks. I'm not a big fan of crows but I once watched a hawk pull apart and eat a small duck, it's not a fate I would wish on any creature, so get out of the car. The hawk is not intimidated one bit, I walk towards it and get about 30 ft away before it flies up into a nearby tree. The crow lays there panting heavily for about a minute before it flies off. I have no idea if it survived but it's better than being slowly dismembered and eaten. I know that crows don't like hawks but I have always thought that crows were too big to be considered as prey.

Edited by MikeBlue

You shouldn’t interfere with nature. That was dinner and population control.

Should have left him with his meal.  A young hawk is not successful very often in their hunting, hopefully he finds something else. For hawks in general, the success rate is around 20%, for juveniles it is significantly less.   Its not a good idea to interfere with Mother Nature in 99.9% of situations.  We tend to do more harm than good when we do.

maybe he'll be more successful with a neighbors cat or dog..........

Yeah, thats rough. Maybe you could humanly kill some crows to protect all the robin eggs they’ll eat.

Just now, phishallways said:

Yeah, thats rough. Maybe you could humanly kill some crows to protect all the robin eggs they’ll eat.

Oh man, crows are brutal with their nest robbing.

They kill any and every baby bird they can fly away with. I've seen them clean out nests, making return trips until the last chick is gone.

Crows harass hawks to no end. Especially recently fledged juvenile hawks which tend to sit around exposed and cry to be fed.

I've seen flocks of crows drive young hawks mercilessly, never letting them rest. That can be overly stressful for a young bird, especially in this heat.

It's entirely possible that the crows were harassing the hawk and one got careless. 

That's a meal that hawk probably needed and definitely deserved.

Several years ago I noticed a big bird on the side of my shed. It was some type of hawk and was eating a full size duck. Mallard size. He ate that thing for a few days off and on. I wouldn’t think they would go for something that big but but I guess they do. 
I think you should have let the hawk eat. 

I saw a hawk swoop right next to me into a tree at around 10 feet after a squirrel.  The squirrel just barely escaped. 

It was awesome to see. 

I had a hawk land next to me while working on my car. He grabbed a mouse and looked me over before flying away with his snack. It's just too bad he didn't catch the other mouse before it built a nest on top of my gas tank causing it to rust out. Don't mess with nature. Animals eat other animals for survival and to keep populations in check. That's just the way it is.