codfish

Is there a down side to aluminum boats??

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Just saw a used 21 ft center console used aluminum boat for sale $4000, that said what are the pros and cons to a bigger aluminum boat.

Like all boats they have their specific issues, my little skiff was trailer ed which made it less complicated. Being aluminum I was easily  pushed around by boat wakes, trade off easy to move around and trailer. Bottom painting is more complicated and may be more expensive. Being a metal boat electrolysis is an ever present concern whether from your boat or others or from the dock power. Also do some research on the thickness of the metal as to flexing. Even being washed after every trip still had some pitting on unpainted surfaces. Good luck with your research. 

Depends on if you plan to trailer or slip.  

Pros - easier to launch, trailer, smaller HP engine required, better fuel efficiency.

Cons - Doesn't handle rough conditions as well due to lighter weight, electrolysis (only if slipping or mooring)

I personally trailer and primarily fish river mouths or LIS on good weather days.  I have an 18' aluminum CC with a 50 HP Yami that can fish all day on 5 gallons.

I own a 16' and a 14 tiller. Following seas is one weak point. The lightless of the aluminum is susceptible to any wind and current on the stern. If the Deep Vee Aluminum stays Vee all the way back to the stern that help and keep the motor trimmed up to keep the bow from surfing. That's the issue I have with tiller and aluminum. I don't have power trim. When the 16' gets on the water I would like to add a tiller motor with power trim and keep the bow from surfing. 

2 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I own a 16' and a 14 tiller. Following seas is one weak point. The lightless of the aluminum is susceptible to any wind and current on the stern. If the Deep Vee Aluminum stays Vee all the way back to the stern that help and keep the motor trimmed up to keep the bow from surfing. That's the issue I have with tiller and aluminum. I don't have power trim. When the 16' gets on the water I would like to add a tiller motor with power trim and keep the bow from surfing. 

I have 19.5 that is my dream point for shallow water fishing but its not bad in rough water, spot locking is going in this week:)

7 mins ago, codfish said:

I have 19.5 that is my dream point for shallow water fishing but its not bad in rough water, spot locking is going in this week:)

I have my eye out for a aluminum panga. I think it would shine for new england inshore fishing.

1 hour ago, The Riddler said:

I have my eye out for a aluminum panga. I think it would shine for new england inshore fishing.

I will try and find the 21ft alumin, let me know what you think?? these are from market place $1,000-$5,000

1493684-66cd4dda5eb26c52453b445b279eb5c3.jpg

288551989_5195652957217690_3665836308694850480_n.jpg

292588380_5526999113977580_1427991585941328379_n.jpg

looking at pacific boats out of curiosity (saw one in a yard on blocks being painted and it looked cool).

I do not know enough about them but they seem solid. 

I currently fish out of a kayak but I my brother had a 19 foot aluminum that he enjoyed. It was NOT a pacific boat but it was a fun little craft (tough)

pacific boats?

Expensive IMO but look very cool and I think it would be fun to try one.

http://www.pacificboats.com

Thoughts?

Posted (edited)

pacific boats: thoughts?

This would be awesome IMO. Or perhaps the dumbest thing I ever did. Hard to say. 

Edited by BrianBM
Edited to remove link

4 hours ago, codfish said:

I will try and find the 21ft alumin, let me know what you think?? these are from market place $1,000-$5,000

1493684-66cd4dda5eb26c52453b445b279eb5c3.jpg

288551989_5195652957217690_3665836308694850480_n.jpg

292588380_5526999113977580_1427991585941328379_n.jpg

All 3 look like Modified Vee. If we can see the stern that would help to see what the better performer would be if there is a vee back there. 

I am learning as I go on aluminum boats but the more I go into following seas the more I am trying to change or look to adjust motor trim manually for now. 

Can be very wet depending on the chop and wind angles. That can also be the case with fiberglass but definitely for aluminum boats as they can't manufacture them with any kind of flare in the bow.

40 mins ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

Can be very wet depending on the chop and wind angles. That can also be the case with fiberglass but definitely for aluminum boats as they can't manufacture them with any kind of flare in the bow.

Cant or won't manufacture ? do to cost ? Ive welded and fabricated aluminum for years you can form it anyway you want .. sounds more like a price point thing ..

1 min ago, Carlezon said:

Cant or won't manufacture ? do to cost ? Ive welded and fabricated aluminum for years you can form it anyway you want .. sounds more like a price point thing ..

My apologies. I didn't realize it was possible. 

4 hours ago, Tom Angler said:

looking at pacific boats out of curiosity (saw one in a yard on blocks being painted and it looked cool).

I do not know enough about them but they seem solid. 

I currently fish out of a kayak but I my brother had a 19 foot aluminum that he enjoyed. It was NOT a pacific boat but it was a fun little craft (tough)

pacific boats?

Expensive IMO but look very cool and I think it would be fun to try one.

http://www.pacificboats.com

Thoughts?

GREAT boats.  were also sold on the east coast as black lab.  have an almost cult following too (think jones brothers, etc) in the pac NW.  Their 26HT is one of my all time fav boats !

it was always a “go see with cash in hand ready to take home” when i was looking at a 26HT.  lost several before i could get to it.

Posted (edited)

38 mins ago, MikeFlyGuy said:

My apologies. I didn't realize it was possible. 

no worries at all .. Best

Edited by Carlezon