John O'

Whitehorse Beach whales

Rate this topic

113 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Off of white horse? I never see that many boats out there

the recent news of whales coming so close to shore has the place packed!!!! and i mean packed.

On 7/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, hotfishgirl said:

only 207 boats there this morning,what a poop show.

Easy pickings on those fish :o

By the way, this morning’s newscast kept warning about how you must legally stay a certain distance away from whales. I know there are some who’ll ignore that law and close to within close range of a whale. But i’m guessing there are circumstances where you’re not aware of the presence of a whale until it pops up in your face. Are you liable in that situation? I saw a video of a boat of recreational fishermen who had a whale come up and bump their boat. They had lines out and seemed unaware of the whale until it actually hit their boat...

Harbor Master has been around so hopefully that helps the whales AND the boaters. 

4 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I'm thinking of heading out there in my canoe.

I should be ok.

Any thoughts? 

I'm out there in my 14ft boat. Guys in kayaks and paddleboards as well. You should be fine. Just good luck finding access/parking

Posted (edited)

So they had some lady on the news from one of the whale conservation groups .  She said the whales were following the bait, specifically pogies.   Now the comment that surprised me was she claimed the pogies were here because the oceans are warming, and that normally they stick around the mid- Atlantic states.  This was news to me.  Pogies have been around for as long as I can remember (Im in my mid 60's).  Then again being in my mid 60's might suggest I can't remember ****.

Edited by Jeff270

If a climate change angle can be spun off of any event, they will do so.

19 mins ago, Jeff270 said:

So they had some lady on the news from one of the whale conservation groups .  She said the whales were following the bait, specifically pogies.   Now the comment that surprised me was she claimed the pogies were here because the oceans are warming, and that normally they stick around the mid- Atlantic states.  This was news to me.  Pogies have been around for as long as I can remember (Im in my mid 60's).  Then again being in my mid 60's might suggest I can't remember ****.

She’s a meathead (which is a true story)…. I also heard one of the news casters say the whales were there because of the high tides.  Really…don’t we get 2 of those almost every day?

there’s all sorts of folks saying some of the dumbest things..

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, chisler said:

If a climate change angle can be spun off of any event, they will do so.

I agree.  That said, I do think that our climates are changing. What I am not sure of us is the cause.  My unscientific viewpoint is that change is most likely do to several factors, among which some are caused by us and some are a result of naturally occurring progressions. 

Edited by Jeff270