Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faithless

Ocean Kayaks

11 posts in this topic

Is ocean kayak going out of business? I can't find a Trident 13 anywhere for the last 2 years. When I call them, they give me vague answers on availability or the standard out of stock sorry. When I call some of the authorized dealers on their website no one can order one.

I emailed them about this a couple months ago and they confirmed to me that the trident series was discontinued for 2022 and they had no plans to bring it back. No comment on how to find new old stock but best of luck.

Posted (edited)

Ocean kayak trident 13 no bueno. Very slow. Leaks everywhere. Hull caves in . You are lucky you did not find one:)

9CE81531-322E-41C7-A92D-6A8312C4E3CA.jpeg

Edited by dbjpb
Typo

35 mins ago, calebk said:

I emailed them about this a couple months ago and they confirmed to me that the trident series was discontinued for 2022 and they had no plans to bring it back. No comment on how to find new old stock but best of luck.

It seems like half of their website doesn't even work anymore. Most models were dropped.

OK is owned by Johnson outdoors, who also own Old Town. They seem to be shifting their fishing lines within the old town brand and keeping Ocean Kayak as more of recreational kayak brand. 

Posted (edited)

Btw, the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is a great paddle kayak. I’ve owned a few over the past 13 or so years and they are the “just right” for many of the data points I look for. Like the weight, paddle (ability), modification friendly, and storage.

Edited by NHAngler

The T13 is one of the most popular fishing kayaks in the UK. The New Zealand made versions are much sought after.

I've used one extensively on the cape and love it. Agreed it is not the fastest, but it tracks straight, is stable and holds up to lots of abuse being dragged across sand/shingle/tarmac etc. It even fell of the car once with no ill-effect!

But saying that the picture of the warped hull above is shocking!

Amazing the dealer where I purchased the kayak said there was nothing wrong with the hull ?

24 mins ago, dbjpb said:

Amazing the dealer where I purchased the kayak said there was nothing wrong with the hull ?

WHAT! That is outrageous. Are they still in business?

Posted (edited)

I purchased  4 new trident 13’s. First pair was up north west new jersey. One of the kayaks almost sank. The screws that attached the skid plate penetrated the hull and leaked. The next two were purchased in southern nj. All the hulls caved in like that.  I must have owned a dozen different kayaks. Most of them ocean kayaks. The only ones that caved in were tridents.  I liked the idea of the below deck storage for surf launches. But it paddled really slow. Even my prowler big game was quicker.  In my humble opinion it seemed like the plastic for the tridents was softer then the other ocean kayaks I have owned. Maybe this helped them mold the hull  to form the large

below deck storage area?   

Edited by dbjpb