Upperman/ bean style jig heads

3 hours ago, liambrouillette said:

Looking for the classic style bean/ upperman bucktails, unpainted heads is fine but the main feature I'm looking for is a Strong hook for heavy current situations I'm interested in small sizes and up to 4-5 ounces. 

Here's a picture and pricing.  The picture only shows up to 3 oz but a 4 oz is also available.  They come ready for paint right out of the package.

Pricing:

3/8 oz = .65 ea

1/2 oz = .90 ea

3/4oz = 1.00 ea

1 oz = 1.10 ea

1 1/2 oz = 1.35 ea

2 oz = 1.60 ea

3 oz = 2.25 ea

4 oz = 2.60 ea

Shipping is extra.

fullsizeoutput_126a_grande.jpg.5cc36c36c5dc32e2d6c7992c15881576.jpg

-

18 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Here's a picture and pricing.  The picture only shows up to 3 oz but a 4 oz is also available.  They come ready for paint right out of the package.

Pricing:

3/8 oz = .65 ea

1/2 oz = .90 ea

3/4oz = 1.00 ea

1 oz = 1.10 ea

1 1/2 oz = 1.35 ea

2 oz = 1.60 ea

3 oz = 2.25 ea

4 oz = 2.60 ea

Shipping is extra.

Great these are awesome Dan, I'm out on a trip right now for the next two weeks but when I get home I will put an order together. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 7:42 PM, Nicky Da Fish said:

What's the purpose of the shape, cutting through current?

As far as I can tell, that's part of it - they really stay down compared to a Smilin' Bill type jig of similar weight. Staying down isn't always the goal though. The other positive is they have a tall profile, like a peanut bunker, without a ton of weight. 

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:42 PM, Nicky Da Fish said:

What's the purpose of the shape, cutting through current?

I would say the shape is mostly a non-factor unless there is tin mixed in with your lead.  That will change the weight considerably and get the jig to "float" easier and you have the advantage of shine from the tin.  This style of head make sense with like a 60/40 tin to lead ratio. Otherwise, use your ball jigs.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:37 PM, Sparky said:

I had a couple made of tin. Not sure what ever happened to them

Pretty sure I got them from Sudsy. 

I have a few Joe Abbot made a few years back in all tin.  I wrapped some feathers on them. Had a fish wack one when nothing else was going on, but it didn't stick.  

Just now, Fly By Nite said:

I have a few Joe Abbot made a few years back in all tin.  I wrapped some feathers on them. Had a fish wack one when nothing else was going on, but it didn't stick.  

I have the mold, but no tin. It seems worth a try.

Banned in Florida

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I would say the shape is mostly a non-factor unless there is tin mixed in with your lead.  That will change the weight considerably and get the jig to "float" easier and you have the advantage of shine from the tin.  This style of head make sense with like a 60/40 tin to lead ratio. Otherwise, use your ball jigs.

With all due respect I have to disagree.  That slim profile cuts thru the current very well.  That's one of the purposes of that shape.  They're effective in rivers and inlets because of that.  This is a case where you don't want the bucktail to "float".

4 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Wouldn't a lead ball jig with the same profile be much heavier? Especially when compared to tin?

The whole point of the Upperman shape is to get down.  A ball head with the same profile would be heavier but in a current it won't get down as well as the Upperman shape.

-

2 hours ago, liambrouillette said:

@Dan Tinman What hooks are on the 1.5 and 2oz sizes? 

The ones in the picture above are Mustad # 91715 in 6/0 and 7/0 sizes.  If you want a slightly shorter hook in those same sizes the Mustad #34184 is about 1/4" shorter.  Another alternative is the Mustad #32824 Black Nickel hook in the same sizes.  They are the shortest and they have the advantage of a larger gap.  The downside is they're more expensive so there'd be a price increase for heads with the 32824's.

-

On 7/8/2022 at 9:25 PM, Dan Tinman said:

Pricing:

3/8 oz = .65 ea

1/2 oz = .90 ea

3/4oz = 1.00 ea

1 oz = 1.10 ea

1 1/2 oz = 1.35 ea

2 oz = 1.60 ea

3 oz = 2.25 ea

4 oz = 2.60 ea

Shipping is extra.

Okay Dan I'll take 3 1/2 oz, 3 3/4 oz, 3 1oz, 15 1 1/2oz, 15 2 oz, 3 3oz and 3 4oz.