rmondell

Jack Frech

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I learned about Jack Frech from You Tube. According to Willy Young, Jack was a premier Striped Bass fisherman. If you have any photos or stories you would like to add, feel free to post.  

frech.JPG

frech2.JPG

Edited by rmondell

1 min ago, Dan Tinman said:

He looks like Buster Keaton.

You're right he does... according to Willy Young, he was an impressive man, standing six feet plus, and so perhaps he meant he had that movie star quality. 

Legendary Surfcaster Jack Frech

Look up the username NEKOWA on the site, he shared much information about the man.

16 mins ago, t_man7 said:

Look up the username NEKOWA on the site, he shared much information about the man.

Thanks

12 mins ago, rmondell said:

Thanks

I have a link to an excerpt of the high hill striper club book that covers the creation of the montauk darter, I will PM you the link as to follow the sites rules once I dig it out.

Most of the articles that Frech wrote were in The Fisherman, and I gave away the last of my copies a long time ago. However, if you have a local library that has old issues of Salt Water Sportsman, you may be able to find the article he wrote about the "Nantucket Ballistic." It's an interesting piece from a plug makers' point of view. It's also a demonstration of how mores have changed with the times; he writes with great good humor about being drunk on a Nantucket beach with some locals. That article would be unpublishable now.

9 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Most of the articles that Frech wrote were in The Fisherman, and I gave away the last of my copies a long time ago. However, if you have a local library that has old issues of Salt Water Sportsman, you may be able to find the article he wrote about the "Nantucket Ballistic." It's an interesting piece from a plug makers' point of view. It's also a demonstration of how mores have changed with the times; he writes with great good humor about being drunk on a Nantucket beach with some locals. That article would be unpublishable now.

Thanks... those were the days. Looks like we may be heading back that way soon. : )

56 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Lots of the old Nantucket locals cashed in and moved, once they learned that they were sitting on about $5 million in equity in a house their parents bought for about $7,500 back in the day.

The last time I was on Nantucket, maybe 2008 or 2009, I picked up a copy of a book of real estate ads. The cheapest house I found was a $980k fixer-upper out by the airport

My wife likes playing the lottery. If we win, I'll have a nice house there, and a guest cottage. You'll have to fly in and visit.  :)

22 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Lots of the old Nantucket locals cashed in and moved, once they learned that they were sitting on about $5 million in equity in a house their parents bought for about $7,500 back in the day.

The last time I was on Nantucket, maybe 2008 or 2009, I picked up a copy of a book of real estate ads. The cheapest house I found was a $980k fixer-upper out by the airport

Those were the days of the baby boomers... and so things were made easy for people to buy a home and raise a family. Frech was a High School principal and so it would be unlikely that he could afford a nice house in Nantucket today. Now that interest rates have risen, and there's a recession lurking, we may see the housing market cut in half in those bubble areas if people lose jobs and cant pay mortgages etc.   

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Thats all that island is good for getting drunk

Gimmie my grippahs

I’ve got all the articles Frech wrote saved just not sure how to share them on a mobile device.