Treema

advise on a vertical jigging rod build

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Need advice on how to build vertical jigging how to space the guides and the size guides I should use maybe it can be spinning or conventional IDK. just look for advice on this topic.

I think you need to decide whether its going to be spinning or conventional before asking about guides sizes and spacing

23 hours ago, Treema said:

Probably want to do a conventional with a spiral wrap

OK, what blank?

40-30-25-10-8-6

guides on top = spinning, guides underneath = conventional. Put the first guide 20” from the reel and the next every 10” after. 

I just did a spiral on a rodgeeks XC732 cut to 6'4", used 16-10-7-7-7-7-7-8tip.  stripper was 18" from the top of the reel seat, bumper guide at 5" from the stripper, then the size 10 on the bottom at 10" from the stripper, 7" or so to the first running guide, then about 5" spacing the rest of the way out.

so i changed my plan on the rod I'm going to do spinning on a REVSJ66M-CW-CG with kw guides does the spacing from the reel to the first guide matter that much? also what the max size guides should I be using for the first reduction guide 

I was thinking something like 25-16-10-8-8-8-8

What size reel do you plan on putting on it? I just built a Blackhole Challenger 731H spiral wrapped and using a Fuji LC12M as the first guide, to KW12, and then KW10's to tip. My first thought is that you don't need a 25 size first guide and should be starting with a KW20 or 16, or using a Fuji LC16M if you want more height to clear the grip under load, especially if it's a more parabolic blank. 

I was thinking to put a vr 150. But I just realized that I bought a slow pitch. Would a spinning reel work or just build it as a conventional. Also has anyone built a rod using cork instead of eva?