Spot vs Kingfish as bait for Drum

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, BLilly said:

Usually whatever I catch. Cobbs I'll cut up, small finger sized I'll throw 2 on a hook. 

Biggest drum I've caught was on my last 2 day old thawed and refrozen finger mullet...it was a disgusting piece of bait and I can't believe anything actually took it

How do you catch mullet? With a cast net? Only mullet I’ve ever caught was snagged. I’ve seen others using the rigs they use for asian carp with the weird little feeder with all the little hooks around it for mullet down in FL. They put bread crumbs in it. In my experience they’ve kind of acted like gizzard shad, except they are in the sea and people actually fish for them specifically.

Edited by ProSkateFisherman

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

4 hours ago, Catskill John said:

Agreed, BUT at times fresh isn’t available. I do pretty good on back-up frozen spot.

That being said, energetic young guys like Koss, (he often arrives without natural bait) catch bait as they watch their heavers, do VERY well. For me, being in the mid 70’s, I need all my energy for the heavers. 

Been tons of red drum caught on fresh bunker. Probably most common fresh bait in shops along the coast. 

Being right behind you (early 70s) I been wearing myself out looking for fresh bait in close and digging for sand fleas! Must be my Scottish blood!

2 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

How do you catch mullet? With a cast net? Only mullet I’ve ever caught was snagged. I’ve seen others using the rigs they use for asian carp with the weird little feeder with all the little hooks around it for mullet down in FL. They put bread crumbs in it. In my experience they’ve kind of acted like gizzard shad, except they are in the sea and people actually fish for them specifically.

Yeah just a cast net. Usually by mid October, my luck starts dwindling on catching them.

27 mins ago, BLilly said:

Yeah just a cast net. Usually by mid October, my luck starts dwindling on catching them.

If I may ask, how do you find them in the surf? I suck at throwing cast nets but I have 3 that I got for free. So I can practice for a bit before October. Do you wade out to find them? Best time to catch some?  Thanks 

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

9 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

If I may ask, how do you find them in the surf? I suck at throwing cast nets but I have 3 that I got for free. So I can practice for a bit before October. Do you wade out to find them? Best time to catch some?  Thanks 

I fish AIVA and typically catch them on the backside during high tide around the marsh grasses. 

3 mins ago, Catskill John said:

I’m sticking with bunker....

I actually thought that too till I zoomed in.  It's got that dark section at the top of the gill plate like a Hickory shad

Edited by DerrickT