ProSkateFisherman

Spot vs Kingfish as bait for Drum

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

When fishing for reds on the beach, would you rather use spot or kingfish as bait? Or some other kind of fish? I will normally fish spot, because I can get a bunch of them at the shop I pass in Annapolis. I feel bad using kingfish (or any other fish I catch) for bait (unless it dies). I feel like I wasted it, especially if I don't catch anything with it. I feel less bad about the spot because If I don't use them somebody else will, so it doesn't matter. I think I'm just wimpy when it comes to killing fish for bait instead of food. I've had guys tell me that kingfish heads are the #1 drum bait and I've had guys tell me it doesn't matter. So, what do you guys think? 

Actually, now that I have an OSV pass, maybe I can bring a little grill or something and cook the kingfish and use their heads. Never tried them before but I did fillet one I found dead in the wash (stiff but still pretty freshly dead, not decomposing) for shts and giggles and that meat looked pretty good. But my question still stands. Thanks

Edited by ProSkateFisherman
Added my realization

I typically use mullet as bait in the fall.

If I catch some spot they'll go on a hook as well, the same with kingfish heads. 

1 hour ago, smallbatch9 said:

Anything with two eyes

Hey... I have 2 eyes :eek:

Normaly I’ll use spot because of its availability, but a fresh bloody kingfish head gets head of the line privilege! Mullet top choice also. 

If it’s a good bait, a hungry drum won’t pass it up!

2 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

Anything fresh

Agreed, BUT at times fresh isn’t available. I do pretty good on back-up frozen spot.

That being said, energetic young guys like Koss, (he often arrives without natural bait) catch bait as they watch their heavers, do VERY well. For me, being in the mid 70’s, I need all my energy for the heavers. 

Been tons of red drum caught on fresh bunker. Probably most common fresh bait in shops along the coast. 

4 hours ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

What size mullet do you use? 

Usually whatever I catch. Cobbs I'll cut up, small finger sized I'll throw 2 on a hook. 

Biggest drum I've caught was on my last 2 day old thawed and refrozen finger mullet...it was a disgusting piece of bait and I can't believe anything actually took it

6 hours ago, smallbatch9 said:

We hammered them on blue heads one year

78136156-9E0A-4DB9-8B03-408F6BB7C633.jpeg

That doesn't look like a blue's head