Deniz

Tuna Fillet Knife Recommendation

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi guys!

What brand knives would you recommend for filleting tuna? Do i need a special style knife or would any fillet knife do the job? I did some research online and it seems there was a big variety of options: regular fillet knives, leaf knives (kind of pricey), special tuna cutting blades, etc. So what do you use to fillet rec size bluefin?

Thanks in advance!

You might be looking for a breaking knife.

I'm no expert buts it's what I purchased.

Hoping to need it this season.

Screenshot_20220707-055615_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20220707-055651_Chrome.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'd say you'll need 2 knives.  Filet & steaking (breaking or Cimiter)

Do u want any flex in the blade? 

Breakin or Cimiter have none.   They're used for cutting steaks or anytime you want a long straight cut thru large pieces of meat.   

They would work great on the already removed loins but not so well on removing the loins.  

For filet. I would look for a something labeled semi rigid boning.  Probably 8-10in.   For the steak knife I like em big 14-16in. But thats the meatcutter in me talkin.   

You can use anything but how it looks when your done will be the difference.  

Dexter Russel or Victorinox is my usual go-to. 

If u want cheap useable knives, find out who does the rental service in your local grocery stores. They sell blades for pretty decent prices.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

The Japanese cutters processing stratospherically priced GBFT use knives with no flex at all. Not sure about the technique, but I've seen videos.

1 hour ago, ermghoti said:

The Japanese cutters processing stratospherically priced GBFT use knives with no flex at all. Not sure about the technique, but I've seen videos.

Ok, but skill levels.....

Those dudes see ALOT of fish and are at home with their knives. 

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Ok, but skill levels.....

Those dudes see ALOT of fish and are at home with their knives. 

Absolutely. I was just pointing out there are different techniques adapted to different tools, and vice versa. I used a spindly Rapala Fish 'n' Fillet for decades, now I tend to use a more robust boning knife like a Dexter 1378. Either gets the job done.

Plus, I'm always looking for an excuse to post videos of those guys laying the wood to fish that cost as much as a luxury sedan.

Edited by ermghoti

So cool to see the various methods on how each country/culture processes tuna.

Taiwan uses those rounded off cleaver style for full processing.

Japan use a couple different knives, namely a Deba (very thick spine, single bevel) for breaking and a sakimaru (long, samurai style) for portioning/cutting in one motion.

Here in the US, the dexter knives seem to be the go to. Cimeter especially for larger tuna/swords

Depending on the size of Tuna, you definitely want two knives. First one strong and hard enough tip to Pearce through the skin and second one a flexible enough to fillet. Brand really doesn’t matter. But what matters is you have a good sharpening tool. 

2 mins ago, roka2448 said:

Depending on the size of Tuna, you definitely want two knives. First one strong and hard enough tip to Pearce through the skin and second one a flexible enough to fillet. Brand really doesn’t matter. But what matters is you have a good sharpening tool. 

I feel this is not talked about enough.    

Not just something to sharpen but also something to maintain the edge throughout the cutting session.  

But sharpening itself is a very personal process.  What I like may not work for someone else.  

When I was in the tuna game this was the go to

https://dexter1818.com/sani-safe-9-scalloped-utility-slicer/

I like that they are still made in the USA.

When I looked to see if they still made them, i also noticed that the price has gone up almost 50% since my last order in 2020 I guess quality stuff isnt cheap.

After quartering it worked great for steaking the quarters going thru the tough skin with ease. They never seem to get dull even when sawing through bone. Which is a good thing because I have no clue as to how to sharpen the serrated edge.

Edited by riggler