seachunk2

Penn Exchange Program SS xchange for which reel?

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have a SS4500, a model that is no longer serviced by Penn. Is this eligible for the exchange program? If so, what reel could I exchange it for? I visited the Penn web site but didn't find an answer on what a SS4500 could be exchanged for. Thanks in advance.  

Edited by seachunk2

Hello Seachunk2

The 4500SS is eligible for our exchange program.  I will send you details on how to send the reel in for exchange.

Jim

Hello Jim:

I have 2 Penn 4500 SS reels.

I would be interested in the exchange program.

Thanks

Joe

5 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hello Seachunk2

The 4500SS is eligible for our exchange program.  I will send you details on how to send the reel in for exchange.

Jim

Jim

I am curious, what do you  with all the reels turned in? being a collector, would love to get my crab scratchers on some of those reels.

1 hour ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hello 7 Rivers,

The reels are scrapped and not available for resale.

Jim

oh wow! that's crazy!!!!!! 

4 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hello 7 Rivers,

Jim

OMG!.............................................Ugh...I feel like Redd Foxx right now, big one is coming, damn shame..

Posted (edited)

Are the Penn 450SS also eligible for exchange? Thanks!

Edited by yarddog59

Posted (edited)

Hi Yarddog59.  Yes the 450SS is eligible for exchange.  A complete list is available under the repair section of our website.  I copied from the website below.  

Jim

Reels No Longer Serviced

We regret to inform you that we are no longer able to service the following PENN reels and downriggers. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Spinning reels:

• Prion
  • AF/Affinity
  • Captiva/CV2
  • Spinfisher Greenie & Z-Series
  • GR-Series
  • PG Series
  • Silver Series
  • Silverado
  • SS Series

Conventional reels:

• GLS Lever Drag
  • Baitcast/Levelmatic (910/920/930/940)
  • GTO Level Wind
  • Mag Power 970/80/90
  • 800 Series of line counter reels
  • Mariner Series
  • 118 16/0 Senator reel

Other:

• Electric/Manual Downriggers
  • Fly reels

While we no longer service these reels, they are still eligible for our exchange program, which offers customers an upgrade to a new series of reel (refurbished or new) at a discounted price with a full one-year warranty. If your PENN reel is not on this list, please contact us for information about servicing/exchanging your reel.

Edited by PENN Fishing

2 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Hi Yarddog59.  Yes the 450SS is eligible for exchange.  A complete list is available under the repair section of our website.  I copied from the website below.  

Jim

Reels No Longer Serviced

We regret to inform you that we are no longer able to service the following PENN reels and downriggers. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Spinning reels:

• Prion
  • AF/Affinity
  • Captiva/CV2
  • Spinfisher Greenie & Z-Series
  • GR-Series
  • PG Series
  • Silver Series
  • Silverado
  • SS Series

Conventional reels:

• GLS Lever Drag
  • Baitcast/Levelmatic (910/920/930/940)
  • GTO Level Wind
  • Mag Power 970/80/90
  • 800 Series of line counter reels
  • Mariner Series
  • 118 16/0 Senator reel

Other:

• Electric/Manual Downriggers
  • Fly reels

While we no longer service these reels, they are still eligible for our exchange program, which offers customers an upgrade to a new series of reel (refurbished or new) at a discounted price with a full one-year warranty. If your PENN reel is not on this list, please contact us for information about servicing/exchanging your reel.

Please send me a link, thanks

On 7/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, PENN Fishing said:

Hello 7 Rivers,

Jim

Some of those parts are unavailable,,,,,?,,,,,,:eek:

Sometimes a reel on the no service list can be and is repaired by Penn. I had a 714z from the 1980s that needed a bail spring and anti reverse spring and the bail was bent.    I called Penn service about the exchange process and they said send it in and they will let me know when they get it.   I sent it in with another reel for repair.  They sent back the 714z with the springs replaced and a new bail for no charge. The reel is now like new.  

5 hours ago, bennie said:

Some of those parts are unavailable,,,,,?,,,,,,:eek:

I am a collector, have thousands of parts, just cant believe the reels are scrapped. There is a secondary market for those parts, BIGTIME! They could make money off them.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, 7 Rivers said:

I am a collector, have thousands of parts, just cant believe the reels are scrapped. There is a secondary market for those parts, BIGTIME! They could make money off them.

My friend asked me,,,,,:laugh: why do you bring the old green reel when you have that shiny new gold one,,,,,,:eek: because the fish can't tell the difference,,,,,,:D

Edited by bennie

15 mins ago, bennie said:

My friend asked me,,,,,:laugh: why do you bring the old green reel when you have that shiny new gold one,,,,,,:eek: because the fish can't tell the difference,,,,,,:D

My godson had never fished before, so last Friday brought my gear and put him on his first stripers.
That reel is older than him, hell probably me, by several decades. 
Monday my girlfriend was using it and, not for the first time, someone on the beach came over and started reminiscing about them or their father having had the same reel years ago. 

78EF477E-6D55-4E4D-8760-AA0E970F4E04.jpeg