NIGHTIDES

Lite Topcoat for small plug

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Made some small  (4" +/-) metal lip plugs that swim test-perfect prior to paint & topcoat. Do not want topcoat to add lots of weight and make the plug more subsurface.

Etex or DC2 @ 2 coats has been my go to but trying to not go so heavy. What did Danny plug / Gibbs use as their topcoat? That always seemed thin.

Any thoughts? Maybe just one thin coat DC2?

Thank you.

Edited by NIGHTIDES

I use epoxy to seal and have just added paint and no clear coat on some plugs with no real issues other than cosmetic. And when I clear coat with etex I generally only use one coat anyway. Clear coats definitely change action sometimes negatively imo, then again hook rash might change it up too.

Edited by rollincoal

3 hours ago, rollincoal said:

Clear coats definitely change action sometimes negatively imo, then again hook rash might change it up too.

Absolutely!

Several times that 'xtra coat of protection' has led me down the path of 'shouldn't have done it'...! That is the reason for this pause.

That wood rash does add lots of weight, but with that nice plug it looks like a plus to me.

Edited by NIGHTIDES

1 hour ago, t_man7 said:

If your looking for a light and durable finish you want something you can spray or is in a rattle can.

Tested Rustolium 2X clear but too soft; does not pass a simple nail test. DiamondFinish has mixed reviews.

Have not really seen other rattle can options. Maybe a simple lite coat of polyurethane.?

10 mins ago, NIGHTIDES said:

Tested Rustolium 2X clear but too soft; does not pass a simple nail test. DiamondFinish has mixed reviews.

Have not really seen other rattle can options. Maybe a simple lite coat of polyurethane.?

Poly works decent, make sure it’s the kind made for EXTERIOR USE.

SprayMax 2K

Spray outside

Read directions on can, and has short shelf life so be ready with a whole batch.

Edited by t_man7

One coat of your favorite clear, go lite with it. I've used D2 on some smaller freshwater stuff with no issues. 2-3 inch sized plugs where too heavy a clear will sink a floater. Brush it on and then use the brush to pull of any extra. 

I have used a finger in a rubber glove to spread the epoxy around real thin, finish results vary, I have needed to add a second thin coat to make some look right. That was with etex.

14 hours ago, Ed White said:

I have used a finger in a rubber glove to spread the epoxy around real thin, finish results vary, I have needed to add a second thin coat to make some look right. That was with etex.

Sounds pretty much like how I seal mine. Although I heat up the plug in 150 oven before doing so and I think that thins it for a bit. 

Maybe adding some DA to the D2T could help make it cover fully but thinner like. 

On 7/6/2022 at 11:16 PM, Jig Man said:

Brush it on and then use the brush to pull of any extra. 

Yep, kind of like 'roll & tip' process.

Grateful to all for each and every tip.

I will go with one coat of warmed thinned mix of Etex as it gives me more work time when compared to D2.

Next batch of these small plugs I will go up an 1/8" dia in wood size to add extra buoyancy.

Thanks again for the help.

Finished the thinned Etex single topcoat. Plug weight gain came out to 1.8g.

Warming the Etex really allowed for a thin coat with minimal-to-zero bubbles to deal with.

And best of all, plug action was preserved.

Edited by NIGHTIDES

Try Tamco HC-9500 2K automotive clear.  Sprays really easy.  You can do 3 on day one, 3 minutes between coats, and then 3 coats 12 hours later.  Hard as a rock in mile 30 minutes.

15 hours ago, Surfcaster Chris said:

Try Tamco HC-9500 2K automotive clear.  Sprays really easy.  You can do 3 on day one, 3 minutes between coats, and then 3 coats 12 hours later.  Hard as a rock in mile 30 minutes.

Does it chip or flake?