Mummichog

Bluegill Behavior Question

10 posts in this topic

My house is on a 90 acre lake and I fish it often. In recent years, the bluegill population has really grown.  They do something here I’ve never seen with bluegill anywhere else.  We find them in schools of a hundred or so, at the surface, in the middle of the lake.  When it’s calm, you can see countless dorsal fins sticking out of the water.  They are not near shore or around structure.  They’re gathered at the surface in open water all over the lake.  What are they doing?

it’s pretty cool when a school of 2-3 pound bass come up underneath them.  It’s like a bluefish blitz.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They just sun themselves.  Never saw that many you must not have many bird predators.

They may be eating micro stuff to.  

Edited by Captain Ahab

10 hours ago, flyman28 said:

They are feeding on Minute midge larva emerging. Really tiny stuff.

That would make the most sense. They don’t even seem to be swimming.  Just floating there.  It is really cool to see.  Like saltwater fish.

I have seen similar behavior in the winter during thaw out... motion-less packed together dorsal's slightly out apparently sunning themselves. (which makes sense for winter )

23 hours ago, Mummichog said:

My house is on a 90 acre lake and I fish it often. In recent years, the bluegill population has really grown.  They do something here I’ve never seen with bluegill anywhere else.  We find them in schools of a hundred or so, at the surface, in the middle of the lake.  When it’s calm, you can see countless dorsal fins sticking out of the water.  They are not near shore or around structure.  They’re gathered at the surface in open water all over the lake.  What are they doing?

it’s pretty cool when a school of 2-3 pound bass come up underneath them.  It’s like a bluefish blitz.

I don't know what they're doing but I'd throw a Black Dog ShellcrackerG2 

I don't know your lake at all, and could be very off-target, but is there any chance that eutrophication in the lake is causing hypoxic conditions in deeper sections, and that the fish are coming up because there is more oxygen in the wind-riffled waters near the surface?

On 7/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, CWitek said:

I don't know your lake at all, and could be very off-target, but is there any chance that eutrophication in the lake is causing hypoxic conditions in deeper sections, and that the fish are coming up because there is more oxygen in the wind-riffled waters near the surface?

No, there are plenty of fish down deep.  The big bass, pickerel and yellow perch are deep.  They only really do this when the water is glass flat.  The lake is spring fed and the water stays pretty cool.

My 2 cents is they are just doing ectothermic things and warming up. Spending many hours staring at bluegill their location is typically based on: spawning, cover / hiding spot, actively feeding, or warming up. When they are in feeding mode they are willing to expend energy to obtain food, just lifelessly suspending doesn't seem like feeding behavior to me.