hunter123

20# J braid

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I was at wally world and bought a spool of 150 yrds of J braid x 4 for 10 bucks. How good is this braid, couldn't really find anything on the search engine here. I'll use it on a baitcaster for fluke. Pro's and cons. Thanks.

The 4 carrier alil coarse but the theory is 4 thicker strands are more abrasion resistant then 8 thinner ones .. ive used it chunking on conventionals before , didn’t love it .. prefer the8 

5 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

The 4 carrier alil coarse but the theory is 4 thicker strands are more abrasion resistant then 8 thinner ones .. ive used it chunking on conventionals before , didn’t love it .. prefer the8 

Thanks, How was it for casting, I'll be useing it for jigging fluke from a pier, no really long casts. How's it hold up. Thanks again.

We talking fluke I think you be fine .. never used the 20 . Only 50 and like said I didn’t love it . I prefer a really soft limp line . Some guys like the stiffer stuff tho . Just try it 

1 min ago, Wire For Fire said:

We talking fluke I think you be fine .. never used the 20 . Only 50 and like said I didn’t love it . I prefer a really soft limp line . Some guys like the stiffer stuff tho . Just try it 

Thanks,

It’s the only line I use. I buy 3000 yd spools on Amazon anytime the price drops. I use for all my saltwater and freshwater reels. Good stuff made in Japan. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like others have said try it if it works for you that's great. l tried it once, it was time for new line on my reels, l have been using PowerPro for a long time it has been good for me. The J Braid 4 lasted one week and l went back to PowerPro, the line was too soft it had no body to the line very limp, l ended up with quite a few bird nets and some lost lures.

Edited by LB

14 hours ago, hunter123 said:

I was at wally world and bought a spool of 150 yrds of J braid x 4 for 10 bucks. How good is this braid, couldn't really find anything on the search engine here. I'll use it on a baitcaster for fluke. Pro's and cons. Thanks.

Got some free when I bought a Daiwa reel. Not a bad line it’s similar to power pro

I used 30 for a couple carp sessions, caught maybe 10 carp, biggest was maybe 28 pounds, they fight like hell and don't give up easy where I fish. Never had a problem with it, other than it was loud because it was a 4 strand, and I normally hate 4 strands, but I didn't have any other options when I bought this braid. When suffix 832 was available again I stripped the j braid off but for the short time I used it, I wasn't let down and I was satisfied with the line. Held up well abrasion wise in the rocky area I fish. I would use it over junk power pro any day.

The 4 strand is certainly not as guide friendly..I no longer use any braid less than 8 weave...and some 12.

Also a fan of  J4 braid. 
Used it for a complete season a few years ago and was very happy with it. Didn’t fray excessively and wind knots were not an issue. 

I never tried the 4 strand - I had enough problems with the 8 strand to write it off as “not trying that again”.. I tried it two different seasons, gave it a second chance after seeing people rave about it hoping I just got a bad spool the first time. But I ran in to just about every problem braid can have, again. Biggest issue for me was it seemed to absorb water and become almost spongey over time.. then when it dries it sticks to itself and you start throwing knots on the next trip. A few mystery break offs here, some fuzzy line there - not a fan.

It’ll probably be fine for dropping and jigging - it’s not the toughest stuff in the world; it’s soft, but it’ll work.. but it’s my least favorite braid for casting. I’ve played with the gibberish amazon brands that performed better by a long shot. Suffix 832 is my go to.