EricDice

Overrated reel for a light or ML rod

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

put aside balance a moment…

Do you ever fish a beefier reel & line than the rod might otherwise suggest? 

Like a 6k reel with 20-30 lbs braid & 30 lbs + leader on a L or ML 8-9 footer? Or a 4k reel on a light 7’ inshore rod?

Is there any benefit? Fight a decent fish with the butt like a fly rod. 

Or just go lighter line / leader & reel then live with the potential drawbacks?

I used to only use 4k sized reels and up on every rod, even a little 6' medium light rod I used with 1 ounce of lead and pulled up mangrove snapper with (looking back, not the best idea for a rod like that lol). Never had a problem aside from weight on some rods. Got the fish in and if something bigger came along then I had a more powerful reels to get them in easier. Then I discovered the Daiwa LT series of reels, specifically the Exceler and the Fuego in 2500. Now I only use 2500's, 6k's, and 6500's, save for the one SSVI 4500 LL that I have on a 10' 1-5 for lighter chunking and bait. I have a few 4000 sized reels that I will occasionally break out for some more specific tasks or when a 2500 isn't enough and a 6500 is too much. On vacations, I always make sure to take a 4000 sized reel, just in case the stripers are out and I want a bigger reel for that potential moment that I hook into a 20 pounder.

I don't use overly powerful spinning gear very often anymore but I do use overpowered casting gear for jigging. I have a lake trout jigging rod that is, in reality, a medium duty largemouth rod. I have 30 pound braid on it and I'm using 2-3 ounce jigs with it, and it's rated to 3/4 or 1 ounce or something around there. It works great. I have a heavier jigging rod too that's rated to 1-5 oz that I use sometimes when I know I'm going to only be using the big stuff that functions a little better with that gear.

2 hours ago, EricDice said:

put aside balance a moment…

Do you ever fish a beefier reel & line than the rod might otherwise suggest? 

Like a 6k reel with 20-30 lbs braid & 30 lbs + leader on a L or ML 8-9 footer? Or a 4k reel on a light 7’ inshore rod?

Is there any benefit? Fight a decent fish with the butt like a fly rod. 

I like a 5k size shimano on a 8’6 M-ML. Holds 300yds of light braid (20ish) in case something big wants to spool you. I snag the occasional batray up to 100# and 300yds is enough to handle the long runs. Also, the larger spool size and light braid combo = great casting distance. Similar to LC design reels. 6K size is too big IMO the spool won’t line up with the guide train…usually I see guys fishing those “upside down” LOL

Forgot to add the light action rods help with keeping lighter treble hooks pinned. And casting lighter stuff further in general.  Great combo for bombing 3/4-1oz spooks and other 4-5” plastic baits. 

I did for a long time

Why? Cause it was all I could afford at the time.  2 rods. 1 reel with 2 spools.   Line matched with rods. 

It kinda stuck with me cause I still like slightly off balance setups with larger reels.