Jambo

noisy van staal vsx 150 roller bearing

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi. I bought a brand new van staal vsx 150 last year in November and the roller bearing sounds like there is sand in it. I took the roller bearing apart and didn't find any sand or grit in it. Which didn't  surprise me because I do rinse it in fresh water after every use. I cleaned it and re-lubricated it but it only stayed quite for a week. My question is if anyone else has experienced this with there new van staal VSX and where can I buy replacement bearings for it. Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Okay so when I pulled the roller apart (vsx 200) there wasn’t really any foreign material present either

5ADC4A4F-8198-406B-8C6D-178FFAB8F6BA.jpeg.cc96c40b377b75f598cc213b71a61b0c.jpeg

But I determined the noise was coming from where the central “shaft” meets the rear inner wall of the outer roller (if that makes sense) where you can see what looks like a little nipple on that back wall:

075B8A7C-5FF4-4E89-8454-A90770081901.jpeg.9dcfd0ffa5c3efc0114c5d59d253bc56.jpeg

So I tried using a pair of precision SS 0.1mm shims and a single 0.2mm shim and they both worked fine to eliminate the noise, and I used a bit of royal purple with some grease to thicken it up as the lube for the innards of the roller 

E8AB8E21-ED16-48EB-9CFE-7D76D91101A0.jpeg.d78d5142c8bf20f08c92d6edb1c1069a.jpeg

You can buy the shims for pretty cheap but make sure they are precision shims and either SS 304 or 316 would probably work but 316 is better. If you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks (assuming you can even find one) a C22 or C276 alloy would be even better yet. Hope this helps! 

Edited by Sir Defyable

Jambo- i got a brand new VSX200 last week and I'm having the exact same experience on the roller making noise. Started within an hour of using it (but had already been dunked a bunch walking out to rocks). Mine only makes noise when there is strong tension on the line against the roller where I'm reeling in or peeling out so i thought it might be the braid slipping on the roller, but i can't tell. It has mystified me a bit. I'm eager to see responses like Defyable's

Is the roller spinning freely? You can just fish it and deal with the noise. Option two is to replace the whole roller. I change my roller once a season

thanks sir defyable for your response. I am going to try this fix and see if it fixes the problem. I saw you used a 0.1mm and a 0.2mm thick shims but could you give me the other dimensions of the shims so I can find them on line

Thanks li_bass_hunter I did replace the bearing once already and the second one made the same noise. That's why I took apart the bearing to see if I could fix the issue but the noise is still there, especially when roller bearing is under load like JLEW said. Now i have two complete roller bearings that make the same noise.

6 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

You can buy the shims for pretty cheap but make sure they are precision shims and either SS 304 or 316 would probably work but 316 is better. If you don’t mind spending a few extra bucks (assuming you can even find one) a C22 or C276 alloy would be even better yet. Hope this helps! 

Where are you putting the shims?

11 hours ago, Jambo said:

My question is if anyone else has experienced this with there new van staal VSX and where can I buy replacement bearings for it. Thanks

VS VSX line rollers are pretty much the same, l have been using VS reels for around 25 years, and l have never seen that you are showing in your pictures, l just finished servicing my 4 line rollers early type and the later type, and l replaced one complete line roller assembly.

What you are showing in your pictures is the rubbing on the line roller arm looks like the line roller nut could have been loose, but you are also saying and showing a picture of the line roller rubbing inside and on the back side of the axle that the bearings are mounted this is strange.

Are the bearing a slip fit or do they flop around in the line roller?

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are no shims in this picture, where do you plan to put the shims? are you trying to move the line roller away from the arm?

Could the line roller bore be oversized, letting the line roller be cocked under a load and then be rubbing in side the line roller and on the roller arm.

Edited by LB

I agree carangua. This should be a nonissue with such an expensive reel that isn't even a year old and has had the complete roller bearing assembly replaced once already. 

58 mins ago, LB said:

There are no shims in this picture, where do you plan to put the shims? are you trying to move the line roller away from the arm?

Could the line roller bore be oversized, letting the line roller be cocked under a load and then be rubbing in side the line roller and on the roller arm.

Apologies as the spot was hard to get a good picture of. Here’s without shim:

2A3B8BC7-19E6-4102-BF8B-59C85544252A.jpeg.dcc8b065d259f7b3e4d27201f63e2d3c.jpeg

And here’s with the shim:

A2B473CB-67F7-40B2-8BFE-62F9584D2474.jpeg.43b17fde52c74ea67a6f1dd368065586.jpeg

Slightly zoomed in and with an arrow to the shim:
F197DE47-B771-49DF-989E-2A78AE38C41E.jpeg.1e462fbf16cd167625bfb4cf9536f16d.jpeg

And the shim would contact the rear of the central roller shaft:

FED7082C-A587-4FC6-83FF-3ACCD859B15D.jpeg.e88e1ddd1ec1d5229d199900d0076a23.jpeg

So I’ll also clarify that I originally thought it would take more than one shim, as I’ve seen many cases where having more rotating surfaces can help with these types of issues. It’s like having two swivels in-line with each other. If one is looser and doing all the spinning but starts to bind, the other will start to spin instead and take the load off the other. Two 0.1mm shims could still be the best solution from that perspective, but I now believe the main improvement comes from having no (or less) contact with the “nipple” in the middle. I estimate that you can not add 0.4mm worth of shims before the compression on the outer seal is no longer adequate, but there is wiggle room laterally to add shims thanks to the seals. The bearings are pressure fit and do not have any wiggle due to the tolerances.

An end mill could remove the nipple, eliminating the need for the shims…it seems like the roller would be encumbered by the contact of the nipple/shims/roller shaft face

2 hours ago, ghettowrapped said:

An end mill could remove the nipple, eliminating the need for the shims…it seems like the roller would be encumbered by the contact of the nipple/shims/roller shaft face

It’s definitely a machining issue. It almost looks like it was intentional which I find confusing…