spitzlure14

Hooks from China

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I’ve ordered and tied on these hooks but I’ve yet to fish them, does anybody have experience fishing with them, do they hold up to corrosion?

Thanks

569B28F8-EAAB-4264-B78C-DFA03CF8FA87.jpeg.8694affcb5c147ea0587ec96f4438031.jpegFFF5E080-5FD8-4E43-94A5-179FDC55704F.jpeg.841c556da62ef2335113b3b00182510f.jpegA5220A6D-7744-41A5-9650-05D083B6369C.jpeg.45b21a4c4b08ac4d6e409187f7d16ef3.jpeg

4286D8A2-0DB0-4AD1-B48A-2B15024EDDEA.jpeg

8 mins ago, spitzlure14 said:

I’ll post some of my own pictures tomorrow 

I purchased the same one, 1/0 through 4/0, a year ago but never tried them as I was out due to hospital.   Great looking hooks and am very curious to hear about how they stand-up as well.  HT

I think these are the same hooks I posted about last night in the thread linked below. But mine are the size 6 version. I have enough flies already tied for my Florida get away in a few days...but wanted to sample some of these...but haven't tied anything yet with these hooks

11 hours ago, albacized said:

I think these are the same hooks I posted about last night in the thread linked below. But mine are the size 6 version. I have enough flies already tied for my Florida get away in a few days...but wanted to sample some of these...but haven't tied anything yet with these hooks

That’s funny, I didn’t make the connection but they definitely could be the same, I’m excited to hear how they hold up in Florida.

9 hours ago, KidDkivahh said:

How these hooks price wise compared to other well known non Chianese makers? 

The go for around 4.50 for thirty with free shipping or 3.10 without shipping 

I use the Kona short shank BGH hooks for shark since they’re black nickel and that tends to rust quicker should I lose one and they’re great, have landed shark over 100 pounds. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I haven't yet used (nor bought) Kona hook(s that I  learnt about in a recent internet search I did on Blane Chocklett's Game Changer fly pattern, my next tying project. This search of course led me to the website of the Flymen Fishing Company in which Chocklett is involved as a "fly and product designer". This is a US company founded by Martin Bawden, its CEO. Flymen  presents itself as a designer and producer of innovative flies, fly tying materials and fly tying equipment. Among its products are of course  the Game Changer flies and components needed to tie them,  including the Fish Skull Articulated Shanks and the Kona Big Game hooks, touting these hooks highly for the Game Changer.

So when I saw this thread , I decided to find out more about the Kona hooks. They are distributed and marketed in the US by Kona  Fishing Products  founded by three partners, including Martin Bawden. So I think it is fair to assume that  Kona and Flymen are associated companies. On its website, Kona presents itself as a developer of premium terminal tackle, which of course includes the Kona hooks, its first line of products.

But during those searches, no where did I find a mention of where the Kona hooks (nor any Flymen products for that matter) are manufactured. Maybe they are manufactured in China but to say that they and the Chinese hooks preseneed by Spitzlure are the same seem to be a big jump.

Flymen sells from sixteen (#8) to six (#6/0) Kona Big Game hooks for $8.25, a far higher price than that mentioned above by spitzlure. So if the Kona  hooks are indeed manufactured in China, it should be through an exclusive arrangement and I doubt very much that its contractor would produce and distribute the same but no-name hooks in the US. But that they are knock-offs manufactured by somebody else in China is of course possible. So, in that case, although they might look the same, are they the same hooks? 

Edited by Suave
Typos

Good hooks in a sense but very brittle.  Take a pair of pliers and torque them the slightest bit and SNAP!  Although it could always vary from batch to batch though (maybe I had a bad batch).

Don’t want to have to be shy on my strip set in fear of a hook breaking :thumbd:

1 hour ago, t_man7 said:

Good hooks in a sense but very brittle.  Take a pair of pliers and torque them the slightest bit and SNAP!  Although it could always vary from batch to batch though (maybe I had a bad batch).

Don’t want to have to be shy on my strip set in fear of a hook breaking :thumbd:

Which ones, the Kona or the Chinese ones?

I once bought a batch of Partridge salmon hooks and was completing tying a fly on the first one when I put a stronger pull on the thread and the hook shank.... just bent! I checked the others and you could easily bend all of them between your fingers. 

6 hours ago, Suave said:

Which ones, the Kona or the Chinese ones?

I once bought a batch of Partridge salmon hooks and was completing tying a fly on the first one when I put a stronger pull on the thread and the hook shank.... just bent! I checked the others and you could easily bend all of them between your fingers. 

Kona

The only proof I have of their strength was from an occasion when I was snagged on something and some how I was able to pull the fly out of the snag without bending the hook. It was the type of snag that typically results in bent hooks (on the rare occasions I didn’t break off)