hunter123

Braid on a low profile bait caster

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Question: would you need mono backing on a baitcaster that holds 175 yrds of 20# braid, or could you just tie the braid to the reel using the holes in the spool?  Thanks

Always run a wrap of tape.....I'm finnicky and make sure the tape is wrapped evenly as to not throw the spool out of balance.

If you have a wiffle spool, tying through the holes will prevent slip, but is not strong if you need to rely on it.

I have some reels with ultra light spools with thin walls and no porting.

I have honeycomb ultralight spools.

I tie to the holes....tape if it's smooth.

I've tried all the work arounds for a secure, backingless, tapeless connection.....NONE are 100% reliable....and when you have 100 reels and rotate through them frequently.....it sucks when you have one that slips.

I’d use backing. I always use 4-10 yards of 10 pound backing on all my reels, just in case. Never, ever had a problem, even on my big surf reels. Put a few yards on the reel and tie the braid on and you’re good to go. Better safe than sorry, you know?

I always just add a few wraps of mono.

Never had issues, Probably never will.

Doesnt have to be much just a layer to cover the exposed spool is more than enough.

If a fish can take it down to that layer, you got other issues to worry about. Lol

My buddy was stumped when his Curado K's drag was slipping no matter how much he tightened it.  I offered to look at it and found out the braid was slipping on the spool.  Yes, this is real and not urban legend.  He tied to the spool holes and now it works like a champ.  The funny thing is that this problem manifested after several months of use.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If it's got a hole tie to it.  If not tape.  Honestly to me if you get spooled to the knot your done 99% of the time.  That would not be my first worry.

BTW what braid and what reel?

Edited by RiverShoulders

Thanks, I use mono Backing on all my spinning reels with braid. Just didn't know about baitcasters. I'll go with a little backing of10# mono. Thanks all again.

Tape is better, the holes will prevent line slip but they’ll slice/cut the line when you get spooled. Heavy enough braid taped at least you got a chance to hit the e-brakes on the fish. 

I should have added to my answer that braid needs to be anchored to reel…..either with tape or through holes in spool if it has them……some spools have a small knob that you can tie to.

the reason is because braid has so little stretch it may revolve around spool negating drag function 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:30 AM, RiverShoulders said:

If it's got a hole tie to it.  If not tape.  Honestly to me if you get spooled to the knot your done 99% of the time.  That would not be my first worry.

BTW what braid and what reel?

So true....

I use a backing layer of higher # braid, tied over tape, so that your topshot mainline is about 1.5 times your maximum casting distance.

I use a braid backing because it does not degrade like mono does, and you can then change the minimum amount of topshot line when it degrades.

No right or wrong answers really, but that is what i do.

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, Lipslicker said:

I use a backing layer of higher # braid, tied over tape, so that your topshot mainline is about 1.5 times your maximum casting distance.

I use a braid backing because it does not degrade like mono does, and you can then change the minimum amount of topshot line when it degrades.

No right or wrong answers really, but that is what i do.

Maybe use hollow core backing and trade a knot for a splice. 

Edited by RiverShoulders