jjdbike

4th wknd: Reflection on 1st new-to-me Weber Kettle

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Hey gang,

Hope all enjoyed a safe and enjoyable weekend. 

Got a used older premium 22". I replaced the grill w/ Weber double hinged. I ordered two Weber charcoal baskets. Added two thermometers, one on top - middle, one a little off to side just above grill level. Added lockable hinge & gasket. Sealed drilled holes w/ high heat engine gasket material. Touched up nicks and worn spots. 

I used it for 1st time Sunday. I used two charcoal baskets pushed together in middle. Used lit fully combusting briquettes to fill baskets 3/4 and added unlit to opposite sides. Used Cherry chunks for added smoke. Both vents fully opened. Cooked marinated prime hanger steak, shrimp and cod for fajitas. Came out wonderful. I waited till smoke was clean and clear blue. One complaint was, not quite enough smoke. Watched  video by Jeromy Yoder saying that keeping smoke clean can go too far and not implement enough smoke flavor.

Monday I grilled corn, wings (herbed, buffalo and barbecue), smoked cheddar sausage, and pineapple. This time I skipped the baskets and just dumped a full chimney of fully lit stacked briquettes in middle (played Jenga), surrounded by a ring of unlit coals. This time I used combo of apple and cherry and used dirtier smoke. The increased volume of fuel made grill much hotter. Once up to full temp, even w/ rotating and keeping as far out on the parameter as I could, I could only leave wings on for 20 - 30 mins. Then I finished in oven. Everything came out well.

Reflection on Weber Kettle, as compared to BGE: Very straight forward and easy to use. It's also easy to clean w/ the ash basket underneath and the duel purpose vent - cleaning fins. Obviously, amount of engaged fuel has huge impact on heat. I like the increased air flow over the BGE. Now I know I need to pay close attention to amount of lit fuel on kettle. I like smaller hotter fire, w/ vents fully open, w/ hot and cooler zones. 

I'm looking forward to getting much use out of it this summer. Thanks for all the help.

Best regards!

JD

It's the little things in life that make us happy.  I'm glad it worked well for you JD.  Now let your creative side emerge... I bet you'll BBQ/grill/smoke something totally new and terrific!

12 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

You may have to get the 22 inch Weber smoker to keep the Weber kettle  company …lol lol lol 

Ya know... not a terrible idea : )

I love how affordable the Webers are, especially used, as compared to other units. I also enjoy how customizable they are. I like tinkering.

Would be good for when I don't have the energy or option to tend the stick burner for hours.

Here's a question for you SB... Does the WSM have set and forget capabilities? In other words, can one dial it in to smoke between 225 & 275 for four hours or so, w/out needing to be tended?

11 hours ago, Mike Mendez said:

It's the little things in life that make us happy.  I'm glad it worked well for you JD.  Now let your creative side emerge... I bet you'll BBQ/grill/smoke something totally new and terrific!

Thanks Mike. Yes, it is the little things.

Something new and creative.... While I LOVE beef, pork and skin-on, bone-in dark meat poultry, I think I need to learn to cook (grill & or smoke) more veggies so I can live to enjoy by BBQd meat for some years to come.

10 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Order four firebricks to cook indirect. 

Thanks Dinghy,

Are the bricks just used as a barrier to hold the fuel in place? I can use the Weber baskets to do that. What I mean is, not use them to hold charcoal (they don't hold very much), but use them to hold charcoal to one area, as a barricade that still allows air flow.

Do the bricks have other functions, e.g. heat sink, to radiate heat, etc? 

Also, where are likely places to buy these fire bricks and a reasonable price?

9 hours ago, Midnightpass said:

Another tool that I'm sure you'll enjoy... Have some fun and good eats with it....

Butch. 

Thanks Butch!

I love how compact, light weight and portable the Weber and the KBQ are. Both will certainly accompany us to SoCal.

That was the point of these specific purchases.

Best regards!

JD

They do hold heat and force the air up and over. I’d probably still use them with the basket but just went with the cheapest thing that would get the job done. I use them in the bottom great of my WSM too, without the water pan in place. 

When I set the bottom vents on the W S M to half open  and the top vent wide open with the water basin half water and a little beer I run 240-260 with out touching it … 3 hrs 40 minutes for baby backs then sauced on a hot grill to set the sauce … ooorrr 4 hrs if the baby backs are only rubbed … if the meat is falling off the bone the ribs are over done ….it will run 8 hrs with out touching it on a still day … as with all smokers if it’s breezy it will run a little hotter … amazin ribs. Com has good info as well the s o l members .

3 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

When I set the bottom vents on the W S M to half open  and the top vent wide open with the water basin half water and a little beer I run 240-260 with out touching it … 3 hrs 40 minutes for baby backs then sauced on a hot grill to set the sauce … ooorrr 4 hrs if the baby backs are only rubbed … if the meat is falling off the bone the ribs are over done ….it will run 8 hrs with out touching it on a still day … as with all smokers if it’s breezy it will run a little hotter … amazin ribs. Com has good info as well the s o l members .

Cool,

Thanks bud!

JD

16 hours ago, Big Biscuit said:

Fire bricks are the key to indirect on the kettle. 

10151185_227870484074886_5254239083663587292_n.jpg.56e1817801060ff43623b4d81fb8ad3c.jpg

10007453_227870504074884_6558185289977367804_n.jpg.c06540509032a78124405bfb65fa3492.jpg

10170744_227870477408220_1709418847219448653_n.jpg.9646d06f3aa91359de42c9c93b840e72.jpg

10151763_227870544074880_7387668990258164329_n.jpg.831eab1103537f37a206381eae8aa9b3.jpg

Wow Big,

That looks amazing!

So I see you have the cast iron grate. 
I have two questions please. 1st, where does one find these firebricks?

2nd, what are those cuts of meat?

JD

15 hours ago, jjdbike said:

Wow Big,

That looks amazing!

So I see you have the cast iron grate. 
I have two questions please. 1st, where does one find these firebricks?

2nd, what are those cuts of meat?

JD

Fire bricks you can find at any big box store. The cuts of meat in question are pork steaks. It's basically sliced pork butt/shoulder, and it can be cooked hot and fast or slowly smoked and then tossed over the coals just to crisp it up.