planter

Swivel or clip or straight to the presentation.

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I ALWAYS tie my hook or plug straight to my 50lb mono leader and even though I have 5 or 6 rods on board all set up for any situation I might encounter. I am curious if there is a significant number of you that use a snap swivel one one of those fancy new paper clip type thing. 

Sometimes things happen where you have to swap over over quickly and if a snap swivel isn't going to cut into any success I might have I'll try it. 

I realize that these type of questions sound rookie but I've been fishing for 50yo and it's worth getting imput from you guys rather than the guy standing on the dock. I have used the clips for lures so this primarily applies to live bait (mack and eels) and chunk.

I guess I messed up when I made up the schedule at work giving me the day off. I will be hanging my head low and I troll a couple of tunes.

Thank alot for not hitting me with the Google or Tube it. See yah around.

A couple years ago I came across a big school of bunker unprepared. I made due with what we had on board. Snagged a bunker with a deadly dick with a treble hook in the back. Took the lure off the clip slid on a circle hook and sent it down. Quickly got bit in half by a blue. Repositioned the hook on the bunker head and dropped it back down. Hooked up with a huge striper. Fought for a while then came off. When I reeled up I saw the point of failure was the clip. Somehow the fish got enough leverage to open the 50lb paper clip style clip up on me. It still haunts me. When in doubt, direct tie.

Direct line to lure, clips are convenient but only takes a few seconds more to tie direct

Lure to 50lb leader to barrel swivel to my line.  When I need to change, I cut the line right above the swivel and tie on whatever I need.  All my set-ups have the lure-leader-swivel all tied so its just a matter of tying to your line.  

Yes, its gonna take an extra min or two than snapping it onto a snap swivel.  I guess I can have a snap swivel at the end of the line and slap the barrel onto that.  

57 mins ago, Kidfo said:

Lure to 50lb leader to barrel swivel to my line.  When I need to change, I cut the line right above the swivel and tie on whatever I need.  All my set-ups have the lure-leader-swivel all tied so its just a matter of tying to your line.  

Yes, its gonna take an extra min or two than snapping it onto a snap swivel.  I guess I can have a snap swivel at the end of the line and slap the barrel onto that.  

How long of a leader would you use?

You have 6 rods- tie 2 direct, tie up 2 with clips and 2 with swivels. Go fishing and see what works.

Direct tie with heavy leader (40+) will affect the lure's action. Whether or not this matters is up to the individual.

PS - this assumes not using a loop type knot.

Floro carbon leader - double uni knot to main line 

no clips , swivels on when I’m swinging metal - spoons , Kastmaster ect. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes I use a fancy new paperclip.. easier to swap plugs.

I have no issue with tying direct and especially if your on a boat with 6+ rods

Edited by MAGA

Sounds like you use the clips already when throwing plugs, but I’ve also gotten burned by using too small of a clip when big fish are around. I am pretty strict about using the 125# for any type of striper fishing and it took me a while to be convinced the size of the clip doesn’t deter bites, but it doesn’t. If I’m using a very small plug/lure I might drop to a 75# and I use the 50# only for Albie/Bonito fishing since I’m using 10 or 15 lb braid and small lures anyway.

Tactical angler clips are the best clip on the market IMO. Any other brand of 'paper clip' i wouldn't trust. I haven't had any problem with these TA clips and use them in different sizes for each fishing application. I think the ability to quickly change lures is a great advantage. But I once always tied direct so I know how that works too. Do whatever you feel is best for your style of fishing. For me, I use TA clips. 

Depends on specie targeted, finicky sight feeders, trout, bonefish , permit and others. Charging, crushing fish or dumb bottom feeders and snook as example could less about terminal, So for me it’s the target and surroundings . A few days ago fishing for stripers chunking with black steelon leader, clips and 5/0 circle a brown trout ate a 1” square of fresh mackeral! All that crap did not turn him off in 2’ of water.. Surfcasting at night I use clips 

Depends. I almost always run a barrel swivel and a clip. Barrel swivel for line twist, clip for laziness. TA clips are great but treat them as disposable. They have a tendency to get a little bent out with enough use/lure swaps. If it starts to look a little off, toss it.  

Though I will say when throwing offerings at albies I tie lure direct (rapala, kreh loop) to flouro to braid with an FG knot.