Paul E

Stop worrying about Great Whi

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Well, to all of you who have been concerned about Great Whites off Cape Cod and others coasts - scientists have concluded that off San Francisco and South Africa, large concentrations of great white sharks are rapidly displaced and replaced by Orcas.  So, problem solved.   The full details can be found in the WaPo : Orcas are eating great white shark’s livers off South Africa’s coast. 

The only people getting scared of great whites are the touristy beach goers who think that every great white is jaws and is out for blood. What about on the east coast? Are they replacing great whites over here too? I wonder if the orcas would eat the seals up in new england. Down where I fish seals aren’t a problem yet. Hope they never are. They sound like a royal PITA to deal with.

I'd be happy enough to see orcas displace GWs in those areas plagued by seals. Off SoCal, even large GWs eat only half a dozen seals a year. Then they go back to a mysterious refugium, in very deep water, and spend months being semi-dormant. They also reproduce very, very slowly. Orcas, in contrast, have the higher metabolic rate of any mammal, so they'll eat more, and they reproduce earlier and more often. Alas, the only western Atlantic orcas that are known to prefer a seal diet are in Canada's far north.

CWitek has connections. I've suggested that he get some green cards for Canadian orcas so they can come and work here.

1 hour ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

The only people getting scared of great whites are the touristy beach goers who think that every great white is jaws and is out for blood. What about on the east coast? Are they replacing great whites over here too? I wonder if the orcas would eat the seals up in new england. Down where I fish seals aren’t a problem yet. Hope they never are. They sound like a royal PITA to deal with.

Sounds like you didn't fish the inlet in spring.

There was a seal killing us tog guys.

39 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Sounds like you didn't fish the inlet in spring.

There was a seal killing us tog guys.

What kind of seal? Most of the guys I talk to down there say that they only see a little harbor seal every now and then, no gray seals. I've only ever had problems with the dolphins cruising the beach in close and scaring the fish. Never any problems on the jetties or rocks.

13 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

What kind of seal? Most of the guys I talk to down there say that they only see a little harbor seal every now and then, no gray seals. I've only ever had problems with the dolphins cruising the beach in close and scaring the fish. Never any problems on the jetties or rocks.

Not entirely sure.

I do know for several weeks you couldn't buy a tap on the northside, and that's the only side the seal would show itself.

1 min ago, Saltfruit said:

Not entirely sure.

I do know for several weeks you couldn't buy a tap on the northside, and that's the only side the seal would show itself.

I hope they don't start moving down this way in numbers (which they probably will). Down in FL I had dolphins doing something like that. I fished a canal and sometimes the very hot bite would shut down instantly. All of the sudden there is this massive splash and it sounds like a struggle in the water. I walked over to the sound once and I saw a big fat dolphin pinning a snapper to the wall. I could have reached down and touched it it was so close. Once it swam away it the bite started up again. It would do this probably 5-10 times a day. 

50 mins ago, ProSkateFisherman said:

I hope they don't start moving down this way in numbers (which they probably will). Down in FL I had dolphins doing something like that. I fished a canal and sometimes the very hot bite would shut down instantly. All of the sudden there is this massive splash and it sounds like a struggle in the water. I walked over to the sound once and I saw a big fat dolphin pinning a snapper to the wall. I could have reached down and touched it it was so close. Once it swam away it the bite started up again. It would do this probably 5-10 times a day. 

Whew. At least that's fishable? 
A couple time I went out it straight up wasn't. Early season bite is already tough - the seal just pushed the few fish around directly into the rocks.

Already several comments - all indicating that none has gone to the trouble to read the actual article.  How do you know whether or not you are once again being pranked. 

spoiler -you’re not, but you wouldn’t know with reading actual facts. 

Apparently southern killer whale numbers have increased quite a bit and they are crushing the salmon populations. Kings especially which apparently is a KW delicacy.

When they kill a great white it releases some sort of scent pheromone ? in the water and all great whites move out of the region for months.   I know it happened off the coast of Calif.