Newell knock-off

Rate this topic

ecks

I see that eatmytackle brand on amazon all the time. They make some offshore stuff for tuna and billfish too. They seem to have generally good reviews. Never tried any of their stuff. Has anybody here had any experience with them?

They were biting before you got here and they’ll bite again after you leave

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

The resemblance is close enough for copyright infringement, if anybody were maintaining the Newell tackle brand.

I am no expert, but I have done some research years ago:

I don’t think this is a copyright issue. It would be a patent infringement which is long since expired. There are 2 patents that can apply, utility and design. Most fishing reels are under a design patent that expired after 15 years.

A utility patent would be more difficult to obtain, and would last for 20 years if maintained through fees. 

11 hours ago, ged said:

I am no expert, but I have done some research years ago:

I don’t think this is a copyright issue. It would be a patent infringement which is long since expired. There are 2 patents that can apply, utility and design. Most fishing reels are under a design patent that expired after 15 years.

A utility patent would be more difficult to obtain, and would last for 20 years if maintained through fees. 

There are design patents and trademarks. I don’t think the design patent would apply because round reels have been around for a hundred years.  However, my guess is Newell is trademarked and registered to the manufacturer, and the branding of the Eat My Tackle reel is so obviously copied off the Newell, that the title of this thread is Newell knock off. If Newell was still in business I imagine there would be a lawsuit, since it isn’t, Eat My Tackles lawyer likely gave a thumbs up.

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

OK. I stand corrected.

28 mins ago, fishhappy said:

There are design patents and trademarks. I don’t think the design patent would apply because round reels have been around for a hundred years.  However, my guess is Newell is trademarked and registered to the manufacturer, and the branding of the Eat My Tackle reel is so obviously copied off the Newell, that the title of this thread is Newell knock off. If Newell was still in business I imagine there would be a lawsuit, since it isn’t, Eat My Tackles lawyer likely gave a thumbs up.

Lawsuits are expensive. Even if someone were to infringe on a patent (which I don’t believe is the case here due to expiration), is it worth it to litigate? 

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this link... *

Key takeaways... the inner components are not interchangeable with Newells and the brake/drag is a completely different drum technology and not discs like we're used to.

Edited by TimS
link removed - please don't post commercial links here - thanks :-)

2 hours ago, Surf bomber said:

Does an original Newell reel have centrifugal brakes (beads)?

No. It relies on your thumb. For that reason, the newells that are nice for surfcasting are the ones with aluminum, not graphite, spools. The latter are doubtless great if you're tossing anchovies off a SoCal partyboat, which was Carl's metier. At the high spool revs generated by an overhand cast with a surf rod, they'd boil the skin off your thumb.