PSeggs

Summer tog

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I don't do alot of tog fishing because I don't have alot of free time in the fall & spring time is usually too cold for me.  But I see there is a summer season. 

Is it mainly a deep water boat game in the summer?   I know they like cooler temps. But crazy things have happened.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

I don't do alot of tog fishing because I don't have alot of free time in the fall & spring time is usually too cold for me.  But I see there is a summer season. 

Is it mainly a deep water boat game in the summer?   I know they like cooler temps. But crazy things have happened.  

 

If you can find a pier or a bulkhead with some depth around 20’ + there will be tog there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most summers i do pretty well from shore and can a least get a couple. I still fish shallow rocks . the bite is by far the best right at first light, as in before the sun comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good tips.  Thanks.  

 

I just found a lil honey hole for fiddlers. So it got the brain ball rollin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jetty I fish has some insane light tackle togging from shore in sept/oct. I say light tackle because 90% of them are under 12" though haha. Still a blast to catch though, especially with a little rod. Sunset and sunrise is normally best. They love anything you throw at them, but it has to be a natural bait, no artificials. I've even caught them on nightcrawlers. Every now and then you'll pull up a 16", but it's rare. I do have spot where I can pull a few nicer ones out of occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They actually move inshore and scatter along rocky shorelines during the summer.

 

When I used to run a boat out of the Mianus River (Cos Cob) many years ago, we used to troll sandworms around shallow structure during the summer.  It wasn't at all unusual to pull a decent-sized tautog out of the rocks, after it hit the trolled bait.

 

When I was young enough that I had to walk to the boat, because I couldn"t yet drive, we'd land the boat on a beach, turn over rocks, get a few of whatever sort of crabs we could find, then go sit over shallow rocks and catch a tautog or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CWitek said:

They actually move inshore and scatter along rocky shorelines during the summer.

 

When I used to run a boat out of the Mianus River (Cos Cob) many years ago, we used to troll sandworms around shallow structure during the summer.  It wasn't at all unusual to pull a decent-sized tautog out of the rocks, after it hit the trolled bait.

 

When I was young enough that I had to walk to the boat, because I couldn"t yet drive, we'd land the boat on a beach, turn over rocks, get a few of whatever sort of crabs we could find, then go sit over shallow rocks and catch a tautog or two.

I’ve caught keepers in 5 feet of water in August.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

I’ve caught keepers in 5 feet of water in August.

Used to do that all the time, around the mouth of the Mianus River, then along the shoreline to Greenwich Harbor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Target shallow structure in the summer, I have shot big tog in less than 6 feet of water just cruising mussel beds and around rocks. I know of people catching bit tog off jetties by just dropping bait right in front of them. Others will specifically target big gaps in jetties and drop bait down and usually will hook into one or more from same spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2022 at 8:45 AM, ijuanaspearfish said:

Target shallow structure in the summer, I have shot big tog in less than 6 feet of water just cruising mussel beds and around rocks. I know of people catching bit tog off jetties by just dropping bait right in front of them. Others will specifically target big gaps in jetties and drop bait down and usually will hook into one or more from same spot.

This:

 

I shot a limit of 18-20 inch fish last weekend and never took a shot in deeper than 10 or so feet. Saw a few huge fish that I didn't want to kill. Biggest I've shot to date was 28 inches on 4th of July a few years ago in 6 FOW. Not as many big fish around as diving in the fall, but there are loads of 12-18 inch fish, and most of them are on mussel beds so the keepers are extra delicious. 

 

Added bonus that no one really targets them in the summer so the well-known structure/mussel beds aren't picked through immediately like they are in the fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

SUCCESS!!

 

All shorts but got quite a few. Also some pretty nice bergalls. 

 

 

Thanks folks

:howdy:

 

Edited by PSegnatelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2022 at 9:42 PM, PSegnatelli said:

SUCCESS!!

 

All shorts but got quite a few. Also some pretty nice bergalls. 

 

 

Thanks folks

:howdy:

 

Togs are all around and some stay through the summer like other said. The problem is getting a keeper tog to eat your bait before all the other smaller fish jumps in which results a lot of wasting bait ( I call feeding the fishes) and time.

 

I usually start mid to late Sept again for tog fishing and go all the way to November if weather permits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So cool you guys get a summer season. I love sight fishing them shallow, when I lived in Rhode Island I used to be able to watch keeper tog eat my crab from piers.  The spring season in NY is kind of silly for shore bound anglers, I feel like it ends right when they start to come in shallow, especially if it's a cold April like this year. I only target them in the fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.