rwalter7

Another Appliance Thread - Oven Light

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Oven light burned out in our 2 year old GE electric range.  Replaced it with an "appliance bulb", 40watt A15 Westinghouse from Ace HW.  It died in about 3 hours, all black inside.  Replaced it with a 2nd one and it died in about the same amount of time.  Looked at packaging and it did not specify it could be used in an oven but rather "appliance, fans and porch lights". Looking closer at the packaging, it displayed a tiny picture of a ceiling fan and frig.  So I'm inclined to think it isn't made for extreme hot or oven temps. Went to Homies for another brand but put the packaged back on the shelf and walked out. Bulb has a glass dome that goes over it.  Do I need to buy this common bulb from GE? 

.appliance bulbs are simply the standard size for most appliances. Glass has a ridiculously high melting point and the tungsten filament burns hot. An oven designed for residential use, even with the self-cleaning setting, is not going to come anywhere close to the design threshold of the light.

THE LIGHT BULB ITSELF
If you've gone through a series of light bulbs—all the same make, model, and spec—there's a chance the issue is with the bulb rather than the oven. Make sure you're only using the specific type of bulb recommended by your appliance's user manual. The correct wattage, connectors, and dimensions are all crucial, as well as a specific designation that a bulb is rated for appliance use. A bulb that isn't rated for oven use will not last long in an oven! We recommend using only genuine GE Appliances parts. Click here to find your specific part number.

2. LOOSE CONNECTIONS
A loose connection in the lamp fixture can cause bulbs to blow, especially if your oven is older or the light fitting has been impacted by oven shelves, trays, or pans. If a bulb doesn't fit tightly into the housing, the electrical current has to jump or "arc" to make contact rather than simply flow through a physical contact. Arcing causes extremely high levels of heat, which is what causes the bulb to blow. The light fitting will have to be replaced or repaired by a licensed technician.

3. WIDER ELECTRICAL ISSUES
It's possible that frequently blowing oven lights could be a symptom of wider electrical issues, whether it's the appliance's motherboard, the electrical supply, or even a problem with your home's wiring. If you suspect anything is amiss, turn off the oven at the power supply and call in a professional.

found one online that is an "appliance" bulb but lists oven use as well unlike the other so called appliance bulb so we'll see.  Keep you posted.

I'm with SB. There's something else going on there. 

I'd start with changing the bulb socket and checking power. 

I do think there is a difference in bulbs had the same issue till i got the correct one. Also check the bulb  socket for any sign of heat damage and / or if the contact areas are free of fuzz

...call a local appliance repair or vacuum repair place and see if they have em.

new bulb seems to have done the trick.  Got to read and look at the packaging very carefully.  Not all appliance bulbs are the same apparently.