turkaholic

Long Island shark attack

Rate this topic

194 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Makes you wonder how many ...... attacks have there been

I'm not picking at what you said, but words still have specific meanings. What's been happening on Long Island are biting incidents, test nibbles; the product of curiosity, not "attacks" -- Consider the swimmer's wounds; punctures, and compare them to the footage of seals being "attacked" and scenes of sharks feeding on a whale carcass.  An experienced fisher would not attempt to set the hook feeling this type of nibble, but would wait for a strike. and in all of these incidents, the strike never comes. 

6 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

versus swimmers and surfers....a line of guys in the surf, bluefish blitzin, bass chomping, whales and dolphins in front....never heard of ... any that i can recall 

Nor have I .. and the difference here is that the "bait" .. the food... is clearly distinct and easily differentiated from the humans.  

Most of us have been in the frustrating position of casting every plug in the bag at bass, reds, or tuna smashing bait and not gotten one hit. 

7 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Stratford CT.

7254F0A6-F09C-40A5-9885-E09D95E393F1.png

Can u Imagine wading the sandbars and seeing that thing swim by!!:fire:

On 7/4/2022 at 6:28 PM, LowEnd said:

Yes, Thresher I caught 2 years ago. I saw bluefish that I thought were blitzing, turned out to be threshers eating the blues. Thresher was foul hooked but hit my Hopkins 2x’s.

Browns, Sand Tigers very common and now Black Tips the last few years.

Often see the threshers working the blues at Indian River Inlet

We were out on Lido Beach yesterday and they shut down swimming for an hour or two due to sighting just up the beach from us. Lifeguard reported seeing a fin, thought to be a brown shark 

On 7/14/2022 at 0:48 PM, Wire For Fire said:

More and more bites I’m thinking are coming more from the increase of southern species . More blacktips and bulls every year .. I was reading that there only been 11 shark bites in 100 years of Long Island history and then 4 this month alone ? Seems odd 

There are a lot of those sharks where I fish. South of us, by a couple hours is the part of Florida with the highest amount of attacks, but with only about 3 or 4 reported deaths in over 100 years. Most of the attacks are called test bites.

Having fished around sharks in truly shark infested water, in a black tip shark nursery, I have my opinions.

First, bites are probably under-reported. People get bit on the foot or leg while wading by a juvenile shark and don’t report it.  
Second, I think the test-bite idea is somewhat bs. I would break those cases down further into “bump and bite” and “stalk and bite.” 
Bump and Bite is what happens when the water is cloudy and a shark bumps into a person and reacts by biting to escape. Both my daughter and I have had sharks a couple feet in length or smaller pass through our legs while fishing without issue. They just needed to get by. But what if the shark struck us, became alarmed and bit? 
There is a dentist I know who was bitten twice in his life, once on the hand when releasing a shark hastily, and a second when a shark bumped into him while he was wading out to a sandbar. The shark momentarily latched onto the front of his lower leg.

Neither incident involved an ambulance or a news crew, in fact he cleaned and packed the wounds himself.

A worse case is easily imaginable. About a decade ago, I was fishing in knee deep water with rolling waves breaking above the waist. I saw some fish in a wave coming at me and a shark about 4 or 5 feet chasing them. As the wave crested in front of me the fish went up into the crest and the shark went after them, the fish dodged left the shark turned hard left  on the wave tip with them. I ran. If the shark failed to make that hard left, the wave would have dumped him right on top of me.

Now, why I think test bite is baloney, is because I’ve  watched sharks stalk people, including myself. The keep a distance, and hang out, and sneak in closer.

It is not uncommon, when I fish during really sharky time in May, to have one start sneaky in if I’m wade fishing. You can watch them do it.  One man in Florida decided to kick one of these guys and it latched onto his foot. These are small sharks I’m talking about, in water less than knee deep. 
I will say the juveniles seem more aggressive to people, but the times the adults come in to breed, January to March, the water is too cold for people to swim, and they are generally deeper than most folks venture into the water.

Instead of test bite, I would argue most bites are bump and bites - a surprise forcing the shark to defend itself by biting; or normal shark predatory instinctive behaviors.

1 hour ago, fishhappy said:

Instead of test bite, I would argue most bites are bump and bites - a surprise forcing the shark to defend itself by biting; or normal shark predatory instinctive behaviors.

I think that's the case with the recent Long Island bites.

We had a lot of cloudy green water close to the beach, a ffair amount of bait, and a lot of people in the water.  The paths of people and sharks intersected, and the result was a defensive nip.  Didn't help that at least one of te bitees (not sure what other word to use, since "victim" isn't really accurate) punched one of the fish as it swam nearby, and triggered the expected reaction.

5 mins ago, CWitek said:

I think that's the case with the recent Long Island bites.

We had a lot of cloudy green water close to the beach, a ffair amount of bait, and a lot of people in the water.  The paths of people and sharks intersected, and the result was a defensive nip.  Didn't help that at least one of te bitees (not sure what other word to use, since "victim" isn't really accurate) punched one of the fish as it swam nearby, and triggered the expected reaction.

It’s hard to call it a shark attack when the person attacks the shark first.

hard to call them attacks when fisherman are paddling out cut bunker with people swimming and wading nearby. 

20 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Gonna end up with regs like Florida in no time. 

Probably next year.

But yes, they are being drafted.  They were a topic at the May Marine Resources Advisory Council meeting, and I've had some private conversations with the DEC.

21 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Much ado about what to call a shark bite.

It's all perception.

"Attack" implies malice on the part of the shark.  "Bite" is more neutral, and can imply blame on either the biter or the bitee--or both.  Whether the bite is provoked or unprovoked also matters.

If someone slides off a surfboard and inadvertantly steps on a sand tiger, who is the attacker and who is the victim?  Tough to blame the fish in that sort of situation.

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Probably next year.

But yes, they are being drafted.  They were a topic at the May Marine Resources Advisory Council meeting, and I've had some private conversations with the DEC.

What are the FL regs? 

It’s kind of funny, we reduce most of the fish we eat to dwindling populations; yet the those that are a threat to us are protected and seem to be proliferating. I wonder what kind of regulations are going to be imposed on surf fishermen as if they are the problem while bunker pods on the beach are marauded by the sharks.  If you want to get rid of the sharks just have omega protein scoop up all the bunker.